• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Leaves Yellowing

GotCrabs

I've got a 39l DSM tank going with just HC growing in it and have noticed some yellowing of the leaves on it, it was planted on the 1st this month, just wondering... am I exposing it to too much light? Photo period was 10 hours, I've now dropped to 8 hours, or am I misting the tank too much, misting twice a day, have only done it once today, humidity is high, any thoughts on this? Are the plants just adjusting perhaps? Am I better off flooding the tank? This is my first DSM so all thoughts welcome, cheers.

Oh, soil is ADA Ammazonia.

I do not have this experience with HC in any dry start.. Actualy i find it one of the easiest plants to grow in an emersed setup. Have it in the propagator and in 3 different Wabi Kusa projects. One project i did take out to soon to leave it in the open air. Allmost all plants dried out except HC is the only one taking it and growing. I have more problems with growing HC submersed.. :)

The only thing i do different is not using pre fertilized soil, i use inert soil instead... Add the ferts later on with a spray bottle, gently llittle by little.

So do not have experience with ADA soils, didn't buy it because they are fertilized and need to cycle. In your, case i'm somewhat reluctand to say they have a shortage of macro's. They might rather have to much and show burn because of that. Do you spray fertilizers as well?

Wait for someone comming along having experiense with drystarting on amazonia.

for the light, they do not need so much in intensity as submersed.. The periode isn't so important, but the intensity might be. If you are using your tank lights full power in would dim it down a bit and make it less intens. :)

I don't have a dimmer, I just have the light set up on automatic timer, I also don't add ferts, I just mist with normal water.

Also you do not realy need to spray all the time 2 times a day, not that it hurts. But if the substrate is saturated and the tank is covered you could do with spraying a lot less.

Buying yourself a small hygro/thermo meter isnt a bad investment..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...ometer-WOUS-/181772476190?hash=item2a527bdf1e
They cost nearly nothing and tell you a lot, put it somewhere in the tank on a piece of hardware near to the plant level. It tells you the humidity, which should be best at 90% + if it comes bellow 90% it's time again to spray.. The temp should be moderate as martin says best around 20 - 25c and not higher. The lights might be to much when it comes to temp, depending on which kind of light you use. E.g i used a led strip 2700k warm white as light source for the dry start. The advantage is it stays pretty cool.. :)

Was the HC tissue culture?

I'm interested to see if you have the same problems I had growing HC in the same set up. After a week or 2, most of the HC will be dead, I think due to the high concentrations of fertilizer in the soil (yellowing can be caused by fertilizer burn). Also, you may get a white web-like substance that will grow all over the plants and turn them into brown mush. I read that lowering temperatures and letting things dry out would combat this but I never had any success.

Nah it wasn't culture, we don't get cultures down here in Australia, sadly, it was from HC pots in rock wool.

Just ordered a Hygrometer off eBay, should have it by the end of the week, will put that to the test for sure.

I won't mist today, as a test, see how it goes, I'll take the cling wrap off for a few minutes and get some air in there, then cover back up, as I said soil is damp all the way though, no puddles though, will pop photo period back to 10 hours also, it's 2:46am here so getting up and roaming around the house playing with the tank isn't the smartest move on my behalf, haha.

Haven't noticed any web like growth, if I did I'd be back on here stressing and all over Google looking for solutions, haha.

Tissue culture might not make a difference. I think I had some rock woll grown HC that lasted a little longer. The web stuff you'll notice quite easily if your spray bottle creates a fine mist. It's kind of similar to how you see laser beams through smoke. Once the web is thick enough, water will rest on it and you'll see it more clearly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GC is the new growth normal? It may be just adjusting to the submersed growth?

GC is the new growth normal? It may be just adjusting to the submersed growth?

Yeah growth looks normal, remember it's a dry start so hasn't been flooded and won't be until it's rooted to the substrate well enough and has spread out, so could be another month or so until the flooding is done, until then I have purposely started smaller aquatic projects to keep me busy and not want to flood this tank, haha, 2 Wabi Kusa Bowls and 1 Outdoors planted tank.

My apologies, I meant to say ' adjusting to emersed growth'. If the new growth is normal, then perhaps less of a worry.

No need for apologies, yeah just a little worried that's all, just does my head in when things don't go according to plan, ha.

Haha. Sometimes it's good to get a challenge etc to try and solve. All part of the enjoyment of the hobby. Hopefully you can learn each step. :thumbup:

I know little about DSM but just a thought -the plants have been in a few days and still adapting to conditions but already having a extended lighting photoperiod.Should it maybe be low light for less hours and when growth and settlement is obvious increase.Take foot off lighting accellerator?

I know little about DSM but just a thought -the plants have been in a few days and still adapting to conditions but already having a extended lighting photoperiod.Should it maybe be low light for less hours and when growth and settlement is obvious increase.Take foot off lighting accellerator?

I had them at 10 hours to begin with but saw the yellowing so dropped it to 8, now put back to 10 as the HC is probably just adapting.

Of course its all about the quality of the young plant how well it i takes the transplant shock. But if you place a bunch under the same light all in the same pot (tank) youll have to turn your attention to the ones doing best. And take the worst ones out before you fill up if necessary. Because of this transplant shock almost every plant goes through more or less, it is best to take a moderate fertilized substrate, even better a inert substrate and start adding ferts after a few days rest. Because the first few days the plant wont do much. But it needs light to grow and as long its young and you like it to grow fast the longer the light periode the better and it doesnt need to be intense. Because it is still young and has tiny leaves and a not yet established root system. Than a lot of intense light mostly goes together with a high temperature, this will rather suck the plantlet dry than do any good. So moderate light and a nice accebtable temperature like not higher than 25C lights on and best not lower than 15C lights off, than you can easily go for an 18 hour periode. This will only benefit the plant to grow faster, after all that's what it does, grow under light. So give it more light it will want to grow more.

young plantlets are prone to grow weak and leggy when the period is (to) short.. Especialy seedlings will do that, that leggy so they will fall over.. There is a term for it but i do not know what it is called in english. :) Its the same what submersed growth does when llight is not strong or periode not long enough the plant will tend to grow faster and leggy towards the light source (up)

In nature tropical plants get all day all the light there is, almost all year 12 hours.. The reason why we generaly cant give the plants 12 hours of light when submersed has nothing to do with the growth of the plants.. It has to do with the growth of something else we don't like. :)

A simple example, a Tomato is a tropical south american plant.. The farmers here can grow bigger tomatos than the natural plant in south america.. Why because we have longer light periode in the summer time. The plant can grow longer and bigger before it starts to flower and cary fruit. Geneticaly this plant strarts to flower when the days become shorter at around 12 hours daylight and less. Thats what they do with tomatos under artificial light, grow them larger under a longer periode than 12 hours, like 18 hours.. If the plant is large enough they go back to a constant 12 hour periode and bang lots of big tomatos, bigger than nature can provide.. :thumbup: in nature in the tropics in the wild the plant flowers in a much younger stage of its life..

Last edited:
Back