• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Eruption'

Gary Nelson

Hi guys... what are your thoughts on this hardscape? I did this last Sunday afternoon and have been looking at it all week in my lounge, deciding if to plant it up or create another one - my original plan was to do a few different scapes, but this was my first effort and I kind of like it.
PS, its not the best picture as its off my phone:crazy:

9573745323_229e485423_o.jpg
Hardscape1 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

Very very nice setup gary, can you keep us updated on how the light preforms as im looking at getting one :)

The scape looks superb some really nice pieces of rock the only one thing is the piece of wood to the rear right keeps pulling my eye I think because it doesnt match the others and jist seems a bit "heavy" but this should change when planted
Will be watching this one
Mark

Seems a shame to hide it with plants. Looks very natural, craggy and old.

Thanks Lindy:thumbup:

Very very nice setup gary, can you keep us updated on how the light preforms as im looking at getting one :)

The scape looks superb some really nice pieces of rock the only one thing is the piece of wood to the rear right keeps pulling my eye I think because it doesnt match the others and jist seems a bit "heavy" but this should change when planted
Will be watching this one
Mark

Thanks Mark - the light is a great bit of kit and the build quality is superb! I'm finding the colours it produces excellent so far. :thumbup:

Looks great Gary :)

Cheers Lee :thumbup:

Like it gary what happened to the corner

Hi sold it a few weeks back now, I felt that I had really reached my limits in it... I was going to do one more scape in it, but the mrs was also keen for me to change the tank so that was the green light for me!:) I am looking forward to starting a fresh with this one and learning a bit more.

Hi guys... what are your thoughts on this hardscape? I did this last Sunday afternoon and have been looking at it all week in my lounge, deciding if to plant it up or create another one - my original plan was to do a few different scapes, but this was my first effort and I kind of like it.
PS, its not the best picture as its off my phone:crazy:

Looks nice Gary, these type of layouts really suit the more cube dimension tanks.
One thing to consider is how close the hardscape is to the glass....make sure there's enough room for algae scraper access, substrate cleaning etc ;) .....and make sure the wood is secure as you'll catch it an awful lot during planting and maintenance.
Looks like a tricky one to recreate, but you could always take a multitude of images from different angles, maybe even number the rocks/wood and try some more layouts if your not sure. Trouble is you'll be having snow blindness staring at it for a week, talking yourself in and out of it endlessly :) just do it!
Be interesting to see the razor in use too, it'll be my choice when I eventually set my marine tank up.
Pleased to see this in the journals mate, look forward to more updates.
Cheerio,
Ady.

I'm in love with that 'scape already:clap: can't wait to see how it progresses!
I don't know why but the title Eruption popped straight in my head but I don't know if anything else has been called that before :)

Looks nice Gary, these type of layouts really suit the more cube dimension tanks.
One thing to consider is how close the hardscape is to the glass....make sure there's enough room for algae scraper access, substrate cleaning etc ;) .....and make sure the wood is secure as you'll catch it an awful lot during planting and maintenance.
Looks like a tricky one to recreate, but you could always take a multitude of images from different angles, maybe even number the rocks/wood and try some more layouts if your not sure. Trouble is you'll be having snow blindness staring at it for a week, talking yourself in and out of it endlessly :) just do it!
Be interesting to see the razor in use too, it'll be my choice when I eventually set my marine tank up.
Pleased to see this in the journals mate, look forward to more updates.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady:thumbup: Yes I know what you mean about the wood, when I was building it up I had a bit that I kept catching my arm on and thought this is asking for trouble if it was to be left as it was, so it was slightly tweaked inwards. I think the wood is out to its maximum now so I can do my maintenance easy around it.... I wanted the scape to look as full as possible this time, as hardscape I have done before is soon overtaken by the plants and easily covered up.... I want this one to stand out as much for the rocks as well as plants if you know what I mean.
The Razor lights are awesome! I'd definitely recommend the marine version for a reef tank (something I want to do too one day)
Thanks for your advice and kind words mate, always appreciated:thumbup:

I'm in love with that 'scape already:clap: can't wait to see how it progresses!
I don't know why but the title Eruption popped straight in my head but I don't know if anything else has been called that before :)

Thanks so much for your great feedback Miranda and the name 'Eruption' is a great idea and it suits it very well:thumbup: going on that I am going to take your fantastic advice and name it just that..... thanks again :thumbup:

I'm so pleased you liked the name Gary,that's made my day :D
I shall be very interested in how that light works out too,I've seen them on marine tanks and they are very impressive.
The OH may be getting some not so subtle hints come christmas ;)

So you finally moved onto a normal shaped tank Gary, your trigon journals will be missed one of the best examples of a corner tank (if not the best :)) on the net. Cracking hardscape very well put together, what's the planting plans ? Will be following this mate.

Hi Tim, Thanks so much for those really nice comments... I did enjoy the Trigon but felt I had reached the limits of what I wanted to do in it, so I decided to have a change on the tank, but I also really wanted to move over to LED lighting too - I am planting it this weekend so will put some more photos up soon.:thumbup:

Lovely arrangement of the hardscape! Eruption is indeed a good name for this from the looks of the wood, its like the whole thing is bursting out at you :nailbiting:

Thanks Michael, Yes I am really chuffed with the name and Like it that another member of this forum has come up with it (thanks Miranda)... it fits very well :) yes I see what you mean about it bursting out... its wild!:wideyed: I just hope that my planting keeps it looking that way.

looks great gary love the island style scape I wouldn't change it but like ady says make sure wood etc is nice and secure and routine maintenance can be carried out :thumbup: let us know what you decide

Dean

Hi guys, I thought I best put some photos up now. I know I started this journal off straight the way with a photo of the hardscape about done, but I will try to start from the beginning now... a but upside down and higgledy piggledy.... but that's me:snaphappy: and I know everyone likes a photo or two:thumbup:

The day of the delivery...
9699358767_bf5e4d6cde_o.jpg
DSC_1245 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

And Built...!
9702588728_3456bc3321_o.jpg
DSC_1281 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

I mounted the light power pack out of the way at the top of the cabinet and a six way individually switched power bar.
9702594210_542c7f48cd_o.jpg
DSC_1252 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

While I was working in the cabinet I decided I would add some cabinet lights, (similar to what I did with my Juwel Trigon unit), where the lights come on when the door is opened and off when closed. Its just a simple micro switch then wired through to the LED drivers box and then up to the lights. I went for 2 light strips off eBay and they give off the perfect amount of light when the door is opened... The colour is 6500K given off the two LED's strips that give a nice crisp light over the equipment inside.
9699353443_ec0c8b3f28_o.jpg
DSC_1267 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

I went for the Maxspect Razor LED lighting system, which I have found is a great bit of kit! It has a built in clock and is fully programmable to fade light in and out of the photo period (similar to the TMC ones) - it works on two channels so you can customise the colour rendition to what you want.... and on 100% power its bright!!!:facepalm: I have found that 60% power is more than enough light. It also has a built in fan, but I have yet to hear that kick in... I am told its whisper quiet though.
9699347607_a5b0408f1e_o.jpg
DSC_1289 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
9702580116_58e1aaf260_o.jpg
DSC_1292 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
9699344863_afc9acecf7_o.jpg
DSC_1291 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

I set out all my hardscape, ready for some fun... Bog wood & Seiryu Stone.
9699335991_ea157edc37_o.jpg
DSC_1294 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
9702577158_199af315cd_o.jpg
DSC_1293 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

After a couple of hours I came up with this, which takes me back to the very first photo on this journal.:shh:
And with water in.
9699332967_111b33b7be_o.jpg
DSC_1295 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

The Plants I chose for this scape were:
Microsorium mini
microsorum needle
Microsorium pteropus windelov
Anubias nana
Eleocharis acicularis
Cyperus helferi
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Spiky Moss
Fissidens fontanus

I did slightly alter some of the hardscape before I planted it up, so here are a few pics...
9699314637_b572a56d08_o.jpg
DSC_1366 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
9702555644_edf5895daf_o.jpg
DSC_1365 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

Right hand view.
9699327195_943e796794_o.jpg
DSC_1342 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
Left hand view.
9699324319_eaecfc459f_o.jpg
DSC_1343 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
In place.
9702963220_c5e6034409_o.jpg
DSC_1363 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

Cherry shrimp.
9699330021_c2c2b0eeac_o.jpg
DSC_1329 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

The money shot!
9699320979_9c553488ab_o.jpg
DSC_1360 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

The inside.
9703036952_71260b474e_o.jpg
DSC_1368 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr
9703033956_f2d5e6c991_o.jpg
DSC_1369 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

I will add more photos as the plants fill out.

Love the picture mate, and the scape is great!

Always liked your attention to detail with the workings of the tank as well. I'm gonna safely say that the tank suites the room well also, better than the trigon. Well done mate!

Back