• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Current build status of my heavy driftwood tank

Nice long roots on those floaters.
I’ve seen them get to a meter in length. If they reach the substrate they’re kinda invasive…

IMG_4441.jpeg

A minor learning, which by sharing I am probably teaching you how to suck eggs…

Large rocks in the back of the tank are lovely, add depth and height. However once plants grow in, you often lose them. They take up large areas of valuable planting space, which i kinda now need in this tank.

I added 4 large rocks along the back, which when dry looked great but it shows my lack of aquascaping experience. Probably should have not added the left one. It’s a nice problem tho, it’s not like Bolbitis and Anubias are not nice plants 👍👌 I think with the next scape planning out planting in future is probably a smart move 😅

IMG_4985.jpeg

I know, I know, I know this isn’t a baby amano - but it looks very similar 😱

A couple of bits of wood were a bit salty, but still…

A few things I should apologise for, but I doubt I’ll ever find the posts in which I made such claims.

1 - Sun light doesn’t cause algae, i am sure sunlight helps algae grow but this aquarium is getting 4 hours of sunlight and there is minimal algae.

2 - m.hirusta does put out 4 leaves under water.

IMG_5030.jpeg

3 - while no where near a carpet, a low tech carpet is definitely achievable with moderately difficult plants.

IMG_5034.jpeg

Doesn’t look like much, but they have exploded everywhere I have placed them 3 weeks ago.

….

Added 12 Pangio cuneovirgata, which I see a lot more of than you’d expect.

IMG_5036.jpeg

It’s not all pretty tbh, but I like it. I’ll try and get a FTS later this week 😊

IMG_5050.jpeg

Quick phone picture. Fish thought it was feeding time, when in fact it was bed time.

This isn’t really what I had in mind for this tank, but I am slowly adding epiphytes and also moss.

I love the gangly stems, and the way Bolbitis grows through the wood. Plants such as the guppy grass, Riccia and Java fern all came with shrimp - so I let them naturalise. Starting to feel more wild.

Also changed a bit of hardscape on the left. I never did like that smooth bit of wood.

I broke down a 200l holding tank, so fishes were moved again. Unsure I’ll ever be able to remove them now tho. 😬

Back