• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Creating a dark spot in tank

•Cai•

Hi all, im interested if anyone has tried or know of anything similar to what im after. Basically id like to create a darker part of my aquarium. My light goes the whole width and im wanting to use something to create a dark area fir the more light sensitive fish.

I'm curious what fish are you refering to? :)

Nothing hugely unusual. Its for my elephant-nose. Like to be able to view it durimg lights on but it also feeling comfortable. I may look into just adding some slate and covering it with gravel etc so it can feel secure whilst other fish are pottering about.

Is fish in the Aquaone tank with sand area? - (I really like that tank scape!)

You could do some version of Tropica's "Bankwood" to quickly provide some shaded areas- being able to suction the driftwood to glass makes it much more versatile in location & looks better than slate
(I think ;) )

If you provide a cave, chances are fish will just huddle under there for most of the day, I prefer a shaded area that allows swimming so something that runs the back length of the tank might be a future goal - you can likely establish crypts & buces & anubias in this deep shade zone

I possibly just need to be a little nore patient @alto as ive got fresh cuttings of java fern eyc growimg on wood in certain areas as it is. For now ive just placed an old light fitting across top of tank to block out some of light coming from working light which is working well but isnt what i want as you can understand.

I had in mind some slate as top and then cover with sand so it looks like its part if substrate but with a little nook in it. It looks good in my head anyway haha.

Floating plant, Ceratopteris species (Indian fern??) are ideal.
They create shaded areas in my tank & the discus just love to search amongst them for left over flake & live food.
Some can grow quite big, grab a hand full every so often, I put them into my Daphnia ponds in the green house & for some reason the daphnia thrives with them in.

There was a guy with a monster tank called jack heath cote featured in practical fishkeeping a few years back. You could swim in his big tank but he had a couple more including one for elephant noses. This tank was basically wood branches here the fish could shelter under. It worked well but for a planted guy you might want to attach some nice java, anubias, buce or similar to the top. This would let a little more light in than the slate but allow you to see them more and not create as much of a dead spot.

Back