• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Continuous CO2 injection, pH and CO2 profile

yme

Hi all,

I am setting up my new 130x85x55 aquarium with an overflow weir along the complete 130 cm back and a sump.
For the first time in my 35 years of aquarium experience, I will go for a continuous CO2 injection, instead of of pH-controlled system. The tank is currently in dark-start modus to test everything and has aquasoil and KH 0.

Today I did a first test and I found the result so amazing that I felt I should share the result.
I am in the luxurious position to own an Oxyguard CO2 analyser, so I can directly and very precise measure free dissolved CO2.

I started adding CO2 at 08.30
At around 12.00, the pH stabilized around 5.68-5.70. CO2 was 25 mg/l.
The surprising finding for me was that the CO2 level was not stabilized: CO2 kept increasing up to 37 mg/l, when I stopped measuring.
So a whopping 12 mg/l increase from the point where the pH stabilized.

240204_CO2.jpg

Plan is now to increase the offgassing in the sump (can be easily done) to see whether I can reach a (lower) CO2 plateau level at a reasonable time in the day.

Of note, the CO2 injection rate is IMHO already pretty insane, I cannot count the bps. (I am a bit affraid that the 10 kilo cylinder is empty pretty soon.)

Yme

Attachments

• 240204_CO2.jpg
    240204_CO2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 27
Back