• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 bottle size

KD1992

Hi everyone, I've started buying supplies to start adding CO2 to my tank but I'm struggling to find a CO2 bottle in Sheffield that will fit in my cabinet. My cabinet is 71.5cm high inside so I'm looking for the biggest bottle that will fit so I can get longer intervals between refilling. I found a supplier that claimed they had a 65cm x 17.5cm bottle but they don't have them and the only other size I can find is 51cm high.

My tank is roughly 300l/290l with substrate, wood and stone and I will be running a DIY 10" Cerges reactor. Is anyone familiar with bottle sizes and where I can get them as I have no idea, I've tried calling a few places but they only seem to have the 90cm bottles

5kg fire extinguisher advertised std size is 670mm tall (valve closed)

Measured 2 and got 660mm valve closed, 630mm valve open.
Only thing that might cause issue is height to top of bubble counter, this = 690mm.
Obviously there could be variations between cylinders.

Pictures speak a thousand words, so on that note... Ta-Dah.

20231102_201908.jpg

20231102_201607.jpg

20231102_201617.jpg

Where to buy? Here. £30. Unfortunately currently sold out but he gets them in fairly regularly.

Last edited:
Here's my CO2 setup. 3.15Kg CO2 bottle with dual stage reg and bubble counter. It tops out at around 55cm high.

1698964469298.png

Crappy picture, but difficult do with a tape measure in one hand and a phone and an Old Fashioned in the other...

When I was putting it together, I went for smallest size possible, but with a good amount of CO2 to minimise bottle changes . The reg is an FZone micro dual stage setup. The downside is that there is no gauge for the bottle pressure, but I can live with that. The positive is that it is a really small, dual stage regulator.

You can see the inline CO2Art CO2 diffuser coming off the filter outlet (Oase Biomaster Thermo 350).

Bottle is from Affordable Gas Supplies. £23 a fill. I swapped this one for a bigger one that I already had for home brewing beer. For my 130L tank, I figure this should last 4-5 months, so for your 300, maybe 2 months. You could always just get 2 bottles rigged up together if you need longer between messing with changing bottles. Or not even bother having them dual rigged, just keep a spare one nearby.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think about fire extinguishers and I didn't realise the bubble counter would add more height

We use the 2kg FE which with the regulator and space for the curve of the hose from the top easily fits within 70cm.
We have used this place. height quoted - good service - but only 2kg ones.
ð¥PREMIUM REFURB 2KG CO2 FIRE EXTINGUISHER, FULL, HORN & BRACKET,FREE DELIVERY! | eBay

Regarding use, once you have attached the regulator to the FE, weigh the whole assembly and write it onto the bottle, so in future you can weigh it and see how much you have used.

You'll be better off getting two 3.15kg bottles. Each will give you months supply and you won't stress much and rush around when it runs out.

I found a company around 5 minutes away from me and decided to go for 2 3.15kg bottles

Attachments

• 1000016365.jpg
    1000016365.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • 1000016374.jpg
    1000016374.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
Back