• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you run a Nano Tank with just a Surface skimmer?

Aqua Hero

Is it theoretically possible to cycle and run a nano planted tank (<=25l) with just a surface skimmer of the tank has a very low bio load (snails, shrimp and one nano fish)?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Don't see why not... If it was me I'd try to use some old substrate or old crushed lava rock and then not even need to worry about getting the cycle started. What is your single nano fish going to be?
Just a female betta fish or a Scralet Badis

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Is it theoretically possible to cycle and run a nano planted tank (<=25l) with just a surface skimmer of the tank has a very low bio load (snails, shrimp and one nano fish)?

If the skimmer is shrimp safe and the skimmer provide enough surface agitation and if it supports aeration it should be fine - the shrimps in particular will appreciate that. The bio filtration (and maturing of the tank) will be adequately provided by the plants and substrate if the plant mass is decent.

Cheers,
Michael

Yes it is possible, providing the tank is heavily planted and well maintained. I've used an Eheim skimmer before on its own in a nano with the top section removed and the top of the filter sponge exposed just at water level.

Advantages are, it brings the outlet nearer the surface so there is good surface water movement, it's shrimp safe, and provides more room for a nano heater beneath and hardscape and plants, especially in a shallow aquarium. I think I've seen something similar at AG on a few of their nano tanks too.

Back