• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

C02 injection with already low ph

Wyattcr

Hi all,

I am new to c02 and thinking about adding c02 to my planted tank, however i know it can lower ph and my oh level currently sits at 6.4 ppm. Will adding c02 make it too low for the livestock in my tank? Would i need to buffer the ph to allow for any kind of drop.

Thanks in advance

First of all, we don't know your livestock. Secondly, if you're blessed with acidic water - and presumably soft at that - why bother with CO2?

Thanks for commenting. This livestock isnt a priority as yet as ive not chosen them and want to base my choice and the right levels dor them. My dGH is 5 and dKH is 2 if this helps

If the dKH of your tap water is correct and is 2dKH, then your degassed pH can't really be 6.4.

What are you taking the pH measurement of, fresh tap water? Water straight out of the tap typically has a fair amount of dissolved CO2 in it, so try putting some in a clean glass, leaving it to degas for 24 hours, and then measuring again.

These are all being tested using cycled tank water it's built and ready to go i did these tests based on the water from that. Apologies im a bit of a noob hence asking for advice before getting anything.

Hi all,
If the dKH of your tap water is correct and is 2dKH, then your degassed pH can't really be 6.4.
That is just because of inorganic chemistry, there is a <"CO2 ~ dKH ~ pH equilibrium"> and if you have 2 dKH you need more than atmospheric levels of CO2 to get to pH 6.4. That is why @Wookii was interested in if it was recently drawn tap water, this would be likely to have higher (than ambient) dissolved CO2 present.

I'm <"not keen on pH measurement">, it isn't that pH isn't really important, it is, but it is also quite a strange measurement and <"difficult to measure accurately"> in <"low conductivity water">.

I'm not a CO2 user, but if I was? I would prefer to rely on a drop checker, rather than a pH probe <"CO2 MEASUREMENT USING A DROP CHECKER">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Nope it’s not a problem if you intend to stick soft water species of fish. Here’s my first scape running CO2 on a controller, you can see the pH is 5.36 and the drop checker hiding on the back is visibly lime green indicating about 30ppm CO2, the tank is rammed with plants in rude health and the fish are mid water column and not surface gasping so they are tolerating the level, the tank is also at oxygen saturation level as evidenced by pearling on the underside of the Java fern. Your base water parameters are similar to this tank except for the KH, this is remineralised RO to a GH of 6 and KH of 0.

ECDCB7A9-680B-4850-B769-187CA2BB4FCF.jpeg

:)

@MartyK thanks v much for that. Love the tank tol looks awesome. Thanks for all thr comments so far. Its helpful

Apologies im a bit of a noob hence asking for advice before getting anything.
No need to apologise, we've all been there.

Might be an idea to give some details of your set up. Don't hold back, tell us all the gory details.

@X3NiTH have you changed your name to Marty. 🤣

@X3NiTH , a couple of of questions if I may. How stable is the CO2 with the controller, and do you keep it on 24/7, so that CO2 is only shut off when it reaches the programmed pH value?

I'm <"not keen on pH measurement">, it isn't that pH isn't really important, it is, but it is also quite a strange measurement and <"difficult to measure accurately"> in <"low conductivity water">.
That is it, to repeat a phrase.... measuring pH in a low alkalinity, that is, low amounts of hydrogen ions is exceedingly difficult with our common means of measurement (ie not lab grade equipment).. not even sure it actually make much sense to talk about pH in waters extremely low or absent of HCO3. I am not a chemist so bear with me if I am slightly off :)

Cheers,
Michael

That is it, to repeat a phrase.... measuring pH in a low alkalinity, that is, low amounts of hydrogen ions is exceedingly difficult with our common means of measurement (ie not lab grade equipment).. not even sure it actually make much sense to talk about pH in waters extremely low or absent of HCO3. I am not a chemist so bear with me if I am slightly off :)

Cheers,
Michael

@dw1305 has mentioned similar before - I'm interested to know (for my own purposes, and lacking the chemistry knowledge) do we know what is the ideal cut-off at which point pH measurements become too unreliable? Is it specifically hydrogen ions that need to be present, or any ions in general?

For example the tank above has GH of 5dGH, KH of 2dKH, so TDS must be a fair bit over 100ppm - is this still too low to get an accurate pH reading?

Similarly say a tank like my own with zero carbonates, but with a GH of 5 plus ferts, which results in TDS just under 100 - are the ions present not enough to get an accurate pH reading?

That's not how it works... it is low conductivity that makes pH measurements challenging, not low alkalinity (although alkalinity can contribute to conductivity). A reasonable guide to measuring pH in low conductivity samples suggests simply adding salt to a sample of the water being tested.

Hi all,
it is low conductivity that makes pH measurements challenging, not low alkalinity (although alkalinity can contribute to conductivity). A reasonable guide to measuring pH in low conductivity samples suggests simply adding salt to a sample of the water being tested.
That works, it is <"add a neutral salt"> (usually NaCl) method. This is because pH meters are a <"special type of conductivity meter"> and the salt addition raises the amount of ions in solution (Na+ and Cl-), but these cancel out in terms of pH, which is why it is a "neutral salt" <"Aqueous Solutions of Salts">.

You can get around the issues of pH meters to some degree with a ISFET meter with REFET reference electrode, but they are expensive bits of kit - <"Reccomended PH Probe">.

This is the best video I've found (for conventional pH meters).

measuring pH in a low alkalinity, that is, low amounts of hydrogen ions is exceedingly difficult with our common means of measurement (ie not lab grade equipment).. not even sure it actually make much sense to talk about pH in waters extremely low or absent of HCO3.
This is back to the <"log base 10"> and <"ratio nature of pH">. This is also why @_Maq_'s Acid Neutralising Capacity (ANC) is a useful concept, it takes us out of ratios and into amounts, and I'm interested in amounts - <"Some handy facts about water">.

To use an analogy, if you have a <"two pan balance"> scale, with equal amounts of acids (proton donors) and bases (proton acceptors) it is always at pH7. It doesn't matter whether there is one molecule in both pans, or ten, or a hundred or a thousand etc. As long as the pans have equal amounts in each? The pH is always pH7, and that is the problem with pH interpretation, it tells us about ratios, not amounts*.

*Edit: ......... Just when you think you understand something the truth comes and bites you in the bum. I'll have to bin the balance pan analogy, I'd like to thank @Andy Pierce for his clarification. I should also say @Andy Pierce <"is a real scientist">, rather than some-one <"who just talks a good game">.
...... Although you can derive the ratio of [H+] and [OH-] if you know one of those values and the equilibrium constant of water, the main point is that pH is a measurement of [H+] concentration (full stop) so it is exactly true that in fact pH does tell you about amounts - it is the measure of the amount of protons per unit volume of solution. That is why the statement "pH interpretation, it tells us about ratios, not amounts" is a misinterpretation of pH.
.......the above statement is incorrect. pH is (by definition) the negative log10 concentration of protons (hydronium). There is no consideration as to the number or concentration of proton acceptors, other than indirectly through influence on the concentration of protons. If the number of protons changes by 10x, the pH changes by 1 unit..........
This is the ANC bit.
In fact, alkalinity or acid neutralizing capacity (ANC) refers to the amount of strong acid needed to change pH from current value to a different (lower) value.
ANC4.5 is used regularly in water processing plants’ reports, and it denotes ANC to reach pH value of 4.5 – which is a point where no bicarbonate ions (HCO3-) remain in water. ANC is not often used in the UK, but is a very useful concept.
We can find out about amounts if we titrate our water against an acid of known strength (if the water is basic) or base (if the water is acidic) and that will tell us out about amounts, and that is what a drop checker does <"CO2 MEASUREMENT USING A DROP CHECKER">. In a drop checker we have a base of known strength (the 4dKH solution) with a narrow range pH indicator (bromothymol blue) and we then titrate our acid (the H+ ions from the carbonic acid (H2CO3)) against the solution in the drop checker and <"use the colour change of the pH indicator"> (and our standard curve (the <"dKH ~ CO2 ~ pH chart"> from @Andy Pierce )) to define how much CO2 we've added.
Is it specifically hydrogen ions that need to be present, or any ions in general?
A bit of both. Around the neutral pH (pH 7) values are always going to be less stable, you need relatively small additions of acids or bases to lower or raise pH. At pH6 you have a ratio of 10 : 1 H+ : OH- and pH5 100 : 1 etc.

In some ways pH meters are useful for confirming what you already know (........ Amazing, this orange juice is acidic and this sea water is alkaline), but when you start diluting the orange juice and seawater with DI water and mixing them together, the pH (and the solution) becomes a lot more opaque.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
To use an analogy, if you have a <"two pan balance"> scale, with equal amounts of acids (proton donors) and bases (proton acceptors) it is always at pH7. It doesn't matter whether there is one molecule in both pans, or ten, or a hundred or a thousand etc. As long as the pans have equal amounts in each? The pH is always pH7, and that is the problem with pH interpretation, it tells us about ratios, not amounts.
Whilst I certainly agree with the entirety of the sentiment of the post, the above statement is incorrect. pH is (by definition) the negative log10 concentration of protons (hydronium). There is no consideration as to the number or concentration of proton acceptors, other than indirectly through influence on the concentration of protons. If the number of protons changes by 10x, the pH changes by 1 unit.

Hi all,
Whilst I certainly agree with the entirety of the sentiment of the post, the above statement is incorrect. pH is (by definition) the negative log10 concentration of protons (hydronium).
At least I got the broad brush bit right. Please correct. As <"you've already found">, I'm not a chemist and <"I really struggle with this">, what is important is we get the science right and that I can refer back to this the next time I'm hopelessly confused.

That was partially why I used H+ rather than the hydronium ion (H3O+) <"Reccomended PH Probe">
There is no consideration as to the number or concentration of proton acceptors, other than indirectly through influence on the concentration of protons
Isn't that always implied, because the proton acceptors are just the inverse of the hydronium ion concentration? and that this all relates back to the <"self-ionization of water">?

This is from <"pH - Wikipedia">
...... Solutions with a pH of 7 at 25 °C are neutral (i.e. have the same concentration of H+ ions as OH− ions, i.e. the same as pure water).

cheers Darrel

Isn't that always implied, because the proton acceptors are just the inverse of the hydronium ion concentration? and that this all relates back to the <"self-ionization of water">?
Well, yes, because in pure water at equilibrium [H+][OH-] = 1e-14, so when [H+] = [OH-] then both = 1e-7M so they are "balanced" and hence "neutral", but having them balanced is not relevant to the definition of pH, so it is incorrect to say that "It doesn't matter whether there is one molecule in both pans, or ten, or a hundred or a thousand etc." Although you can derive the ratio of [H+] and [OH-] if you know one of those values and the equilibrium constant of water, the main point is that pH is a measurement of [H+] concentration (full stop) so it is exactly true that in fact pH does tell you about amounts - it is the measure of the amount of protons per unit volume of solution. That is why the statement "pH interpretation, it tells us about ratios, not amounts" is a misinterpretation of pH.

Hi all,
Although you can derive the ratio of [H+] and [OH-] if you know one of those values and the equilibrium constant of water, the main point is that pH is a measurement of [H+] concentration (full stop) so it is exactly true that in fact pH does tell you about amounts - it is the measure of the amount of protons per unit volume of solution. That is why the statement "pH interpretation, it tells us about ratios, not amounts" is a misinterpretation of pH.
Thank you, <"I will eventually get there">. I'll go back and edit that bit.

Although this was ten years ago <"TDS vs hardness">, so there maybe no hope for me.

In best <"Seachem fashion">, I'm now going to throw in a <"total red herring"> and say that I'm very good <"at identifying moths">.

Now I've got a question. If we go back to a volume (10 litre?) of water with very few solutes (say conductivity ~10 microS cm-1) and pH 7, if we then add a very small volume of a strong acid (say HCl) the conductivity will rise (we've added H+ and Cl- ions) and the pH fall, presumably to ~ pH1? but we still only have a few protons (H+ ions)? and when we add a similarly small addition of a strong base (NaOH) it will disassociate into Na+ and OH- ions and the conductivity and pH will rise.

In pH terms we can ignore the Na+ and Cl- ions, we know that they balance each other out, because we know that NaCl is a neutral salt.

<"If the added OH- ions balance the extra H+ ions"> the pH returns to pH7 (the equivalence point), but we still have water with low conductivity. If we carry on adding NaOH the pH will rapidly rise to pH 12? but we still have relatively few ions.

ph1.jpg

Assuming that is all correct? Then pH will potentially always be unstable in soft, low conductivity water, because very small changes in water chemistry cause large changes in pH*.

*I'm staking my tattered reputation on this, but the <"toys are already poised by the pram edge">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Assuming that is all correct? Then pH will potentially always be unstable in soft, low conductivity water, because very small changes in water chemistry cause large changes in pH*.
"Be unstable" can be fighting words around here, but that said I believe the above is largely correct as most people would understand it, but with some provisos.

What stabilises pH (also known as buffering capacity) is where if extra protons show up from somewhere they have somewhere to go other than to float around as free protons, and similarly, if free protons are 'removed' in some manner, there is a way to get some of them back. Suppose you have a mix of carbonic acid and bicarbonate... this is the bicarbonate buffer system at pH in the vicinity of 6.4 where there is a mix of H2CO3 and HCO3-. If the pH tries to increase, carbonic acid can counter the effect by releasing protons as it converts to bicarbonate (H2CO3 -> H+ + HCO3-) and if the pH tries to decrease bicarbonate can counter that effect by capturing protons as it converts to carbonic acid (HCO3- + H+ -> H2CO3). In this scheme, since bicarbonate is charged, it contributes significantly to conductivity, but the uncharged carbonic acid not so much.

Suppose however your tank is at pH 5. Now most of the carbonate is in the form of only carbonic acid H2CO3 which being uncharged doesn't contribute much to conductivity. You still have good buffering capacity against increasing pH because the carbonic acid can release protons. You don't have any meaningful buffering capacity against decreasing pH because carbonic acid cannot accept any more protons. So this system is half-buffered and low conductivity.

That's not how it works... it is low conductivity that makes pH measurements challenging, not low alkalinity (although alkalinity can contribute to conductivity). A reasonable guide to measuring pH in low conductivity samples suggests simply adding salt to a sample of the water being tested.
Appreciate the answer Andy. But I do believe that actually is how it works for most of us when we measure pH with test kits such as the API pH kit or similar reagent based hobby kits - the pH is essentially derived from alkalinity. Your absolutely right with respect to EC based pH measurements, but the wast majority of hobbyists are not measuring pH that way. Anyway, always appreciate your insights!

Cheers,
Michael

Back