• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano lives with crystal

malik uddin

Hello. I have 3 maybe 4 amano shrimp. I have bought 10 crystal red which I will be adding soon. Is this going to be fine. Will they squabble? Also have 4 otocinculus. Is this going to be a happy tank?

Cheers

Hello. I have 3 maybe 4 amano shrimp. I have bought 10 crystal red which I will be adding soon. Is this going to be fine. Will they squabble? Also have 4 otocinculus. Is this going to be a happy tank?

Cheers
The shrimps will get along and the Oto's wont cause any trouble... When I feed algae wafers my Oto's comes out to join the feast and don't seem to mind that the shrimps are crawling all over them and brushing them aside :)

The only thing to keep an eye out for is your water hardness (Calcium/Magnesium contents) and EC. Crystal/Bee Shrimps prefer a dGH around 4-6 and an EC not much higher than 300-400 uS/cm (TDS 150-200 ppm, ideally around 100 ppm). The Amano's will be fine in a much wider range, so their preferred parameters wont be a limiting factor. And of course, all shrimps are particularly sensitive (more so than fish) to toxic free ammonia (NH3), Chlorine, Copper, Zinc and Nickel so make sure your water is extremely low on those compounds, and keep your tank well oxygenated and circulated as shrimps are mostly bottom dwellers where oxygen can become in shorter supply.

If the water is in the range quoted above, and combined with a varied diet, the Crystals will breed prolifically, but the Amano's wont as the fry will initially require brackish water (high salinity) to mature.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
i just got my crystal shrimp from a local chap here in tower hamlets, he said they are breeding well in his tank, his water is the same as mine, about 270 tds 8 ph, i have encouragement and was recommended to buy the shrimp from local breeders, who have a similar water chemistry

Back