• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice from dog owners please

Slightly off tangent, but if you contact your local fire service they will likely come out and do a safety visit and can fit fire alarms that have flashing lights/vibration alerts too (usually its a free service) there will be a number or form on their website.

Good luck with the training :)
They've already been and fitted smoke alarms throughout the house.
And LEAP have replaced all the Bulbs etc for LED and given dad Remote controlled plug adapters. So he can turn lamps on etc without getting up. I may have pinched one for the tank lights.
Im looking at getting his heating upgraded as he has broken the gas fire surround. So Taped it off for now.
And so much more to do, to fix his dodgy DIY

Is he fixed Gill? It’s fairly common in hounds to urinante in the house if they’re not fixed.
Thankfully my Dachshund doesn’t do it, but her has other “bad habits”.

Is he fixed Gill? It’s fairly common in hounds to urinante in the house if they’re not fixed.
Thankfully my Dachshund doesn’t do it, but her has other “bad habits”.
He isn't yet, but I will have him fixed shortly after my upcoming holiday. He only has 1 descended, and there is a risk of Cancer for the undescended one.. So will get him done soon, wouldn't want to risk that with him.
His old Vets in Derby never advised getting him done so left it.

He isn't yet, but I will have him fixed shortly after my upcoming holiday. He only has 1 descended, and there is a risk of Cancer for the undescended one.. So will get him done soon, wouldn't want to risk that with him.
His old Vets in Derby never advised getting him done so left it.
My male Dachshund is 4 and we never nor will ever have him done as there’s no requirement.
There’s also suggestions that fixed males have more health issues later on in life.
But I’ve heard so many other owners saying that their in tact males are constantly urinating indoors.

My male Dachshund is 4 and we never nor will ever have him done as there’s no requirement.
There’s also suggestions that fixed males have more health issues later on in life.
But I’ve heard so many other owners saying that their in tact males are constantly urinating indoors.
Yeah it is a Quandry theres Pos/Cons for both arguements, But I think I'll get him fixed for peace of mind.

Porch Pottys arrived and so did Netraliser.
I mopped and scrubbed the floors today and have laid the pottys in the kitchen area. Hopefully he will use them when back from the boarders after the 19th May.

Reactions: tam
I'm a veterinarian in the US, and I definitely recommend this dog have blood work done as well as a urinalysis by cystocentesis, so the vet can check for masses or stones in the bladder. Bassets are famous for getting stones in their bladder, which cause a lot of discomfort and UTIs. Bladder stones can occur even in quite young dogs. A healthy dog should not be having accidents in the house, and it should not be related to his intact status. However there are several fairly serious health conditions that he needs to be screened for which could be resulting in inappropriate urination in the house.

You are correct the abdominal or inguinal testicle does need to be removed, to prevent it becoming cancerous. It's your choice whether they remove the other one. There are health benefits to having him remain partially intact, specifically protective effect against some other aggressive cancers, but you're going to have to push back on your vet if you want him or her to perform only a partial neuter.

As far as preventing him from peeing in that area, I always recommend what we call an x-pen in the States to my clients, where he can be contained when you're not with him,
1000030625.jpg

don't know if you have another name for it. These are available online or at any large pet store. A dog who is having trouble staying clean in the house should be constrained to an area with vinyl flooring or that's easily cleaned when you're not watching him, either with a crate or x-pen, until you have identified the cause.

You will need to do everything you can to remove the odor in that area as well, as part of retraining him not to mark there. Try several enzyme-based Digestive cleaners, and invest in an inexpensive blacklight flashlight so that you can find all of the remaining dried urine. When the area no longer fluoresces you will have gotten rid of it.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm a veterinarian in the US, and I definitely recommend this dog have blood work done as well as a urinalysis by cystocentesis, so the vet can check for masses or stones in the bladder. Bassets are famous for getting stones in their bladder, which cause a lot of discomfort and UTIs. Bladder stones can occur even in quite young dogs. A healthy dog should not be having accidents in the house, and it should not be related to his intact status. However there are several fairly serious health conditions that he needs to be screened for which could be resulting in inappropriate urination in the house.

You are correct the abdominal or inguinal testicle does need to be removed, to prevent it becoming cancerous. It's your choice whether they remove the other one. There are health benefits to having him remain partially intact, specifically protective effect against some other aggressive cancers, but you're going to have to push back on your vet if you want him or her to perform only a partial neuter.

As far as preventing him from peeing in that area, I always recommend what we call an x-pen in the States to my clients, where he can be contained when you're not with him,
View attachment 219100

don't know if you have another name for it. These are available online or at any large pet store. A dog who is having trouble staying clean in the house should be constrained to an area with vinyl flooring or that's easily cleaned when you're not watching him, either with a crate or x-pen, until you have identified the cause.

You will need to do everything you can to remove the odor in that area as well, as part of retraining him not to mark there. Try several enzyme-based Digestive cleaners, and invest in an inexpensive blacklight flashlight so that you can find all of the remaining dried urine. When the area no longer fluoresces you will have gotten rid of it.

Cheers
Actually I have tried pens with him as a puppy. I had to bungee cord them to the rads. Or else he would push the cage around the room. Or he would limb out of them during the day. And then could not get to his bowl or his water.
So pens were out. And baby gates were used to contain him to certain rooms. But he barked the house down if confined to one room.

I gave him the consevatory and he liked that alit. As he could clamber around all the furniture and up onto the worktop and watch us and everyone else.

I understand what you say about his testes. And will prob get both removed when back from holiday.
He goes into the kennels in Shilton tommorrow for a week. So will book him in on my return.

It's just stubbornness with him. He's behaved and alerts when I'm home. It's only 2 days a week he does this when I'm in the office.
He knows he's done something bad as sits at the top of the stairs staring down. And refuses to come downstairs. I just say it's OK I'm not mad at you. As sometimes I don't always wake up during the night when he alerts me.

I want to be able to go back full time soon as there is a promotion I want to go for. And that's a full time 70/30 split hybrid office/home dealing with all the engineers workload and diaries. So need to get him trained and sorted out again.

Buttons have arrived and I'll program them when back and start training him with them.
I ordered x4 to put x1 living room x1 dad's bedroom x1 hallway x1 kitchen. That way he can press them and dad should hear it wherever he is in the house.

That is a fair point about ruling out medical causes for behavioural issues. I agree it's less likely if he is fine on the days you are there. The thing that might make it worth it is it sounds like he's not going through the night? As an adult he should be able to sleep through 8 hours without a wee break - ours go 11pm-8am. Again might be habit, but it could be something is limiting the time he can hold it which would also mean he needs to be let out more in the day too. Maybe have a chat with your vet about it when he has his pre-op appointment and see what they think.

For overnight, with puppies, they suggest getting up 15 minutes before he'd usually ask, so you wake him, then gradually moving the time you get up back in stages until you hit a more appropriate time for waking up in the morning.

Good luck with the buttons, have a google of 'bunny the talking dog' if you haven't seen the videos of them using buttons. It's quite impressive how much vocabulary some dogs build up!

Enzyme based cleaners arrived and worked great. Really Scrubbed the floors. Sprayed it neat in the heavily soiled areas.
Also used spray foam on the carpets which has helped alot.
I've spent most of today cleaning the house and tidying up his areas. As he is at the kennels now till the 18th. Sprayed, scrubbed, mopped, hoovered and foamed the house.

Back