• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice from dog owners please

Gill

So my Bassett Hound keeps weeing by the tank. And the wee ends up under the cabinet. Where I can't get to it, to clean it up.
He only does this when I'm in the office on a Thursday/Friday. And it's getting very annoying.
I put down wee pad which he will use, but will still wee by the tank.

Dad does not hear him half the time shaking the bells on the doors, so he'll use the pads or wee by the tank or in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a cleaning agent I can use to get rid of the smell on the tiles and grout. Strong enough for dog wee.

When I'm home he is very well behaved and alerts me to needing to wee during the day. After his normal walk etc.
But this has become upsetting to the point of wanting to have him removed. Also if I go out after work he does it, as again dad doesn't hear him.
I have tested this and dad is oblivious to him shaking the bells, scratching the door frame or just Barking to get his attention.

Last edited:

Try training your dog to go to your dad when he needs to go.
He Does, and dad just ignore him most of the time.
I have put in a camera so I can check in and remind dad.
As I have to check he is eating the food I prep for him each morning before work. And make sure he's not just eating biscuits and crisps.

How long is he going before he needs to urinate again?
My Dachshunds could hold their toilet all day (they toilet, morning, evening and before bed).
He has never held it long. He's a lockdown puppy. So he is used to going every 3 hours or so. As during lockdown I'd just leave the consevatory doors open for him to release himself when he needed to.
He does hold during the night and normally wakes around 3am for an early morning wee. Then back to bed.

You need a pet urine odour neutraliser, I don't know there is much difference in brands, they have enzymes that break down the smell. Most supermarkets/pet shops will stock them. White vineagar is good for getting any staining from calcium.

Would it worth considering having someone pop him and give him a toilet break on the days you work? It's a very common service now as so many people work and have dogs.

You could set up a toilet by the tank as that's where he seems keen to go. I've never used them, but you can get dog toilet trays - porch potty is one. Read some reviews first as it's not something I've experience with. Even if there is a more appropriate location, setting it up there, getting him into the habit of using it, then gradually moving it to where you want it might be easiest way to train.

We train our pups to go on command, which might be helpful. Just give them the cue word just as you see they are about to wee and then reward afterwards. Once you've practiced that, then give the cue a little earlier, e.g. when you've taken them out as you know they need a wee but before they find the spot and again reward. And you'll end up with a dog that will go for a wee when you give the cue. We use 'hurry up' as a cue word. It's handy as you can suggest a wee when you know you are going out or going to take them in somewhere they can't wee.

Is just a deafness issue? Our pups are foster dogs for Hearing Dogs - one of the other things we train is to nudge to tell people about important sounds (doorbells, timers, fire alarm etc.) the dog nudges your leg and goes to the sound. No reason you couldn't train a dog to nudge and lead you to the door when they want to go out. Obviously would take a bit of training though and it depends if the nudge would be enough to trigger your dad to let the dog out. You can get sound buttons too, where you record a phrase and it plays back when your dog stands on it - if you think your dad would be more likely to respond to a recording of you saying 'let me out for a wee' than the dog woofing :)

Cheers @tam that's all very good advice.
I'd forgotten about the porch potties. I'll order a few to see how he reacts to them. I'll put a dirty pad in them so he knows it a wee spot. And see what happens.

I might ask at work what the estates team use for the the heavily pet soiled properties, I'm sure I could get a tub of it from them.

Yeah dad's hearing has been going for a while, but he won't get a hearing referral done. And won't go if I make one for him.

It's also that Dumdum has ibs, sods law I get a dog with ibs like me.
So I can't use treats as rewards as it will upset his tummy. He can only have x3 small treats a day. And that's mainly after finishing brekkie. Though dad feeds him his biccies during the day. As he likes to throw them for him to catch.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

You can self refer for a hearing test via specsavers without seeing your GP first - it varies by area but looking at the website Coventry is covered and then it's all paid for by NHS. They'd probably let you go in with him too if that helps. They can also do appointments in your home, free if you meet the criteria for not being able to get to a store or paid if not.

My dad went through them last year - did take a bit of persuading. The NHS hearing aids are very small and neat now though. He doesn't always wear them but does use them for somethings.

Does he like his food? If so can you use that as treats. If it's kibble just save a bit to use through the day, if it's wet food a bit trickier, but you can get silicone trays you can freeze into treat shapes or you can dyhydrate. If there is particular foods he is ok with, then there is a massive range of treats now aimed at dogs with allergies. We got slices of dried duck breast chews and chopped it up for treats for one pup with potential grain allergy.

You can self refer for a hearing test via specsavers without seeing your GP first - it varies by area but looking at the website Coventry is covered and then it's all paid for by NHS. They'd probably let you go in with him too if that helps. They can also do appointments in your home, free if you meet the criteria for not being able to get to a store or paid if not.

My dad went through them last year - did take a bit of persuading. The NHS hearing aids are very small and neat now though. He doesn't always wear them but does use them for somethings.

Does he like his food? If so can you use that as treats. If it's kibble just save a bit to use through the day, if it's wet food a bit trickier, but you can get silicone trays you can freeze into treat shapes or you can dyhydrate. If there is particular foods he is ok with, then there is a massive range of treats now aimed at dogs with allergies. We got slices of dried duck breast chews and chopped it up for treats for one pup with potential grain allergy.
Oh I did not know that, I'll have a look thanks.

Yeah mainly a grain allergy for him.
So stick to the grain free kibble from Aldi, its been one of the only ones that suits him.
Even tried the Tapioca based one in the past and only lasted a few weeks before runny tummy came back.
Even with raw it can be hit and miss with him.
Used middletonraw for him which suited him better than the better known brands. And sometimes not always a success.
And butchers grain free range of wet, I always stock up when it's on offer in PAH.

Getting him out the house is also dependant on whether he agrees to bathe that week, won't do more than a weekly bath. Which is a struggle of wills with him.

I have tested this and dad is oblivious to him shaking the bells,
People with hearing problems often use doorbells that trigger a flashlight to see if somebody is at the door... If the dog shakes the bells that your dad doesn't hear isn't there a way to mount a switch to the bells connected to such a doorbell flashlight hanging at an obvious spot for your dad to see it?

People with hearing problems often use doorbells that trigger a flashlight to see if somebody is at the door... If the dog shakes the bells that your dad doesn't hear isn't there a way to mount a switch to the bells connected to such a doorbell flashlight hanging at an obvious spot for your dad to see it?
Thats a good idea, Thanks Ill Have a look into that.

And Also Dog Speaking Buttons so he can Shout Wee Wee at Dad

Thats a good idea, Thanks Ill Have a look into that.

And Also Dog Speaking Buttons so he can Shout Wee Wee at Dad

I see they are pretty pricy in the UK... But it's wireless... And
The receiver can also be connected to the Bellman & Symfon bed shaker
:cool:
Then find a way to trigger the switch with the bells to dog rings...

If you know somebody familiar with Arduino you could have a DIY for a few quid.

I see they are pretty pricy in the UK... But it's wireless... And

:cool:
Then find a way to trigger the switch with the bells to dog rings...

If you know somebody familiar with Arduino you could have a DIY for a few quid.
Another Cool Gadget, Found one used for £35

Ive Ordered:
Pet Buttons - Will program and place around the house and train him to use these. As they also Flash
Pet Potty x2 for the kitchen.
Odour Neutraliser for Kennels- Talcom Powder scent, as cant use strong scents(migraine trigger)

So lets see what difference these make.

I'm Also ordering more Cameras for the house, So I Can see where he is when not in the living room. So can then check and ring dad

An old-school very effective dog prank for peeing dogs is sprinkling fine ground pepper around at suspected spots. When it has it becomes a self-trained habit for the dog to pee at (a) certain spot(s).

Each dog also has the habit of sniffing around before peeing, the dog will inhale the fine pepper and this will irritate the nose and he will be more busy with sneezing than with peeing. A few times is enough to avoid that spot in the future... It is also effective for peeing cats...

Slightly off tangent, but if you contact your local fire service they will likely come out and do a safety visit and can fit fire alarms that have flashing lights/vibration alerts too (usually its a free service) there will be a number or form on their website.

Good luck with the training :)

Back