• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adjustable Reg not doing its job!

Bertie

Hi,
I recently purchased a UP A-165 adjustable Reg and again I am disappointed.

I have the working pressure gauge set to about 2.5 bar and when it comes on in the morning it clicks loudly and the pressure gauge needle fluctuates in unison with the noise. I then turn the pressure down to below 2bar until the clicking and fluctuation stop and then turn it up again to 2.5 and everything is ok!?o_O
I have put a support ticket into Tankscape but thus far I have not had an answer. I obviously cannot keep adjusting the working pressure like this as it affects the bps, although I do manage to get it close to what it was.

Mind you if I tried to go away for a while then it would cause problems.

I have not found any leaks in the system and have tried two different UP inline Atomizers. When the co2 switches off I will attach a glass diffuser and see what happens when it switches on in the morning and in that way will rule in or out the Inline Atomizer.

I am hoping that Tankscape will get back to me!

Thanks Rob....I have no idea how to test that out and how it could be fixed if it was? Still waiting for Tankscape to get back to me.I do have another regulator but that is faulty too...:( Not having much luck to be honest.

Hi Bertie , is it possible that your bubble counters not that good? Only an idea, as I said the other day my bps are all over the place my checker goes yellow some days and lime green the next, all shrimp and fish are ok so I'm not bothered anymore as long as the fish /plants are healthy.:) we had afew days away and all was fine when we came home.:). Just get it into a safe zone if you can at al.

Hi Bertie , is it possible that your bubble counters not that good? Only an idea, as I said the other day my bps are all over the place my checker goes yellow some days and lime green the next, all shrimp and fish are ok so I'm not bothered anymore as long as the fish /plants are healthy.:) we had afew days away and all was fine when we came home.:). Just get it into a safe zone if you can at al.

Hi Kap, I am using a JBL bubble counter now but it is the clicking noise and pressure gauge fluctuation that concern me. As I say if I turn the pressure gauge to below 2 bar until the clicking stops and then up to 2.5 straight away it works ok?? Also if I was to unplug the solonoid for some reason for say 10 minutes then it starts up again without a problem??

I could do if I knew how to dismantle and fit it? but am not sure whether that one is not faulty either Andy as that Reg is faulty too......maybe I am not supposed to have co2 in my tank as the Gods seem to be against me!!;)

O dear Bert it seems you have never ending problems!
Perhaps you could obtain a camera & take some photos or even better some video when you get a problem as it might be a lot easier to help if we could really see what is happening & how you have it set up.
Just an idea, but it is actually quite easy to take video nowadays & seeing as you are retired & have all the time in the world... ha ha!

Hi foxfish,
I understand what you are saying but I do not really think a photo or video would help in this case.;););) I will try and explain.

I have the regulator connected to the FE and have the solonoid plugged into a timer. I have co2 tubing coming out of the needle valve into, and out of a check valve, and into a JBL bubble counter. I have the co2 tubing coming out of the bubble counter and through a check valve, and up to the UP Inline Atomizer and the tubing goes into another check valve just before the atomizer.

I have the pressure gauge set at about 2.5 bar it is actually in kg/cm. When the solonoid switches on there is the normal rush of bubbles but at the same time there is a loud clicking noise accompanied by the fluctuating needle on the pressure gauge. I then have to turn the pressure gauge down to below 2 bar until the clicking stops then I am able to turn the working pressure back up to 2.5bar and then it works fine until the co2 is switched off. Until the next day.;)

It sounds like the solenoid dosent have enough strength to open valve. Its probably caused dodgy solenoid
Bombard tankscape with email & phone calls till you get them sorted. Also if you paid with paypal find how long you have to claim and if you havnt heard by then, leave bad feedback and claim your money back, i think its 30days for uk suppliers and 60days for overseas suppliers.
I dont think the gods are after you... Just dodgy asian manufacturing quality standards.

Tankscape number off website 01462372273

Thanks Andy....will send another e-mail right now!! If I do not hear by tomorrow sometime I will then telephone them.
I have just e-mailed them again.

Trial and error again bertie.

Get rid of every thing between the reg and the atomizer and just use a straight piece of co2 tubing between both. If you still have the problem with this set up you know its the reg or atomizer.

Am i right in saying you have 3 check valves on the current set up? this might be causing a problem as you will be getting pressure build up between each check valve.
Try and use just 1 if you can.

Personally I don't use bubble counters, Its another things that can leak and cause problems. Your'll know if your adding to much or too little co2 by your drop checker and fish health.

The clicking your hearing is the solenoid turning on, it should just click once. If its clicking repeatedly check the electrical connections and make sure the solenoid is screwed tightly to the reg. Also try using it with out the plug timer as that might be causing a fault.

A picture of your set up would be handy, you know the old saying a picture says a thousand words :)

Thanks discusdan.
I will check the solenoid connections when the co2 switches off and will see what happens when it is plugged directly into the socket rather than the timer. I will also sort the check valves out.

They are going to despatch me a replacement solenoid tomorrow:) ...I hope that solves it! Now....how do I swap out the solenoid?? Please!

Bertie you must have a leak somewhere.
I had bps all over the place when I had a leak. Couple of things gave it away, moved bubble counter to place in jug of water and bps went monster as pipes moved. When in water no leak, waggle pipes and a small stream of bubbles poured from the bubble counter outlet. All joints now sealed with LSX sealer and no leaks, and perfectly controllable bps using CO2 supermaket regulator.

Which atomiser do you have again? If you can't post a photo a link will do :)

Hi Gary, I am using UP Inline Atomizer.
Hello Ian, I have checked for leaks and can find none, and have tried 2 x UP Inline Atomizers...........I have used Fernox on all my connections but I will check all again and again;)

Hi Foxfish, They are the older type UP Atomizers with one ceramic stone...One is brand new and one is used, both have been cleaned by soaking for 10 minutes or so in a 10 to 1 bleach solution.

Back