• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A pond in the terrace

parotet

Hi all

I live in a flat with a small terrace (around 10 m2) which is crowded of plants but… yes, I also want to have my little pond :) . There is a corner surrounded by small walls where I can hide a plastic basket with maximum dimensions 60x50x40 cm (LxWxH), let's say 135 liters. Nevertheless I have two doubts I want to ask you:

1. the exposition will be NE… thus no direct sun, but plenty of light. I live in the Mediterranean coast so I think it is better not to have direct sun to prevent my small water volume from boiling :eek: (now in May the temperature is 25ºC but in two months it will be around 38ºC). Do you think this exposition/no direct sun would be a problem? I don’t want necessarily to have Nenuphar species (which I think is the most limiting species in that case).

2. I would prefer to avoid any kind of equipment such as air or movement pumps. Probably not having direct sun will help, but is it possible to have this volume without a pump/filter?

In order to give you a better idea of what I want, I would like to have a small submerged jungle with bits and pieces from my tanks (Egeria, Miriophyllum... I won't really see them, just for oxygenating). Also some emerged aquatic plants (giant horsetail, Crypts, Rotala, Limnophila…) probably on hanging baskets attached to the walls and terrestrial potted plants well adapted to have their roots in the water (Monstera, ferns, Ficus, Spatiphyllum, etc.). I would add Gambusia affinis in order to control mosquito larvae and probably some local shrimps. The water from my tanks would be used to fill the pond when needed. No water changes of course...

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Jordi

In thailand, around temple grounds, they had what looked like large glazed planters that were filled with water and had water lillies in them. There were little wild type guppies or bettas (couldn't tell from above) in them presumably to eat the mozzie larvae. I don't think they were topped up other than when it rained and I doubt they would have had water changes either. They were also in full sun.

No water changes and no filtration? If you don't mind the smell it can be done with the right mainanance. I got a sink bath tub about 180 liter in my garden/ on terrace this summer as a pond with several plants and 6 goldfish for about 6 years now. I do water changes an do filtrate it with 2 filters. 1 is a filter with sponge and bio balls and the other just for flow and filters only on sponge. I do not use organic soil but only gravel substrate..
And still it smells like a swamp sometimes and this is getting stronger the longer i wait with the water change when the temp rises. Thats not what you want on a terrace i guess, at least it wont be verry appealing to sit next to.. And i can tell you this will only get worse if you're planning to use organic substrate in non moving water with 38c.

Also adding some fish will help you prevent breeding a mosquito bomb, it always will be atracking some mosquitos and other insects that's not an issue, but the larvea don't stand a chance with the fish in it :).

Direct sunlight isn't such a big deal, floating plant give enough shade and enough oxygenating plants keep algea out. Just keep out the organic soils.. And only if you keep fish you need to help a hand by cooling some with water change and only take fish which can take it a bit temp fluctuations, like goldfish. Other regular pond fish need more depht and can't stand the heat in the summer, will get sick. And tropical fish can't stand the temp fluctuations. And i do not live at the mediterranean, but we also have summers with rather hot and damp unpleasant periods. :)

Filtration doesnt have to be a hassle nor expensive, i use some 75mm pvc sewage pipe fittings and a simple € 20 streaming pump, put some spong and bio ceramics in it and a hose to connect it to the pump and its rocking and rolling for 6 years now. Total cost less then €35,- The other pump one is a simple € 5 streaming pump glewed a hose connector to it, cut a plastic botle in half drilled a hole in the cap. Stick it to the hose connector and put sponge in it. It runs like a charme and the fish love to play in the stream and it cools. A small fountain or waterfall will also help cooling a bit, the fish like it..

Last edited:
I would have to agree with you regarding the filtration. With out any its like having a toilet and using it but never flushing it and wondering why it smells. :hungover:

I can't help but wonder if parotet (The person who asked in the first place) ever did take the project any further since he asked the question last year, and never asked / mentioned it again, but still posts on the forum. perhaps if we wait another year, we may get a reply :lol:

Hi all!

Yes I am here and I still have my micro pond. It was finally a 70 liters plastic basket without any kind of filtration. 1/3 of the surface is occupied by a pond container filled with all kind of plants (giant Equisetum, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, pieces of old redmoor, etc.). The surface is covered by a dense carpet of Lemma harvested from the rice paddies. There are also submerged plants but Egeria is the only one that has survived in the longterm. I have tried some stems plants from my tanks but they hardly survive except for Ludwigia repens which does well in some periods of the year. Summer is really the worst moment here, very high temperatures and evaporation mAke things really difficult. It is the moment where I have to fight with hair green algae.... Every 2-3 days I have to work some minutes on the pond if I don't want to have all invaded, but the rest of the year is fine. It reminds me a bit my moss setups, all you need is patience, a lot of patience, but no hard maintenance combed to my planted.

I have some Gambusia affinis also collected from the rice paddies I have around, very small fish introduced in Europe decades ago but that are used to these temperatures. They are very good controlling mosquito larvae.
The smell is not really a problem, at least we have not noticed it but maybe the small volume is the key. However, my guess is that the small volume (thus significant temperature variation and evaporation) is also a constraint for reaching stability and avoid green algae.
In a hurry but I'll try to post some pictures... This weekend I was working on it. (a pre-summer reboot works very well, let's say a water change) so it is half empty and not in its best moment, but I'll try to look for older pictures.

Jordi

Yes i noticed that to late as well, when i was done writing. lol. Its the second topic in here so i thought it was more recent.. Pond ideas aren't so popular obviously..
Anyway another note for anybody interesting reading it is: Why not use organic soil like clay or dirt?. :) Putting a bucket with water on your terrace to create a pond is nothing more that an aquarium without glass. Once in a while you might need to sifon things out, when using dirt, you are very soon done sifoning. You only have to top side to see (clearly) what your doing. And since you cant put water aside with you hands it will take less than a minute and you''ll see zip and nothing but troubled water instead of the bottom. With a substrate gravel you keep the water clear more easily, white or light colored are the best. :)

Maybe this helps to get this idea more popular.. Because it isn't hard, actualy easier then keeping an aquarium..
Cheers.

Hi all!

Yes I am here and I still have my micro pond. It was finally a 70 liters plastic basket without any kind of filtration. 1/3 of the surface is occupied by a pond container filled with all kind of plants (giant Equisetum, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, pieces of old redmoor, etc.). The surface is covered by a dense carpet of Lemma harvested from the rice paddies. There are also submerged plants but Egeria is the only one that has survived in the longterm. I have tried some stems plants from my tanks but they hardly survive except for Ludwigia repens which does well in some periods of the year. Summer is really the worst moment here, very high temperatures and evaporation mAke things really difficult. It is the moment where I have to fight with hair green algae.... Every 2-3 days I have to work some minutes on the pond if I don't want to have all invaded, but the rest of the year is fine. It reminds me a bit my moss setups, all you need is patience, a lot of patience, but no hard maintenance combed to my planted.

I have some Gambusia affinis also collected from the rice paddies I have around, very small fish introduced in Europe decades ago but that are used to these temperatures. They are very good controlling mosquito larvae.
The smell is not really a problem, at least we have not noticed it but maybe the small volume is the key. However, my guess is that the small volume (thus significant temperature variation and evaporation) is also a constraint for reaching stability and avoid green algae.
In a hurry but I'll try to post some pictures... This weekend I was working on it. (a pre-summer reboot works very well, let's say a water change) so it is half empty and not in its best moment, but I'll try to look for older pictures.

Jordi

Look at that.. :) Nice you still got it.. May i ask what soil you are using. That is what i notice the most where the algea problems start.. Pond shops sell oftenly the same plants as we use in aquarium. Aquarium shops deliver them on rock woll and pond shops do them on dirt soil with clay and sand. To organic and to rich in ferts for such a small water mass.. :)

May i ask what soil you are using. That is what i notice the most where the algea problems start.
I use a pond soil I found in a garden center... and I agree it is making things much more difficult. This weekend i was thinking about changing it by gravel, but I was to lazy to do it.
I also agree that my pond management approach is far from my tanks. I just see it from above and I really don't care if there are algae

Jordi

I use a pond soil I found in a garden center... and I agree it is making things much more difficult. This weekend i was thinking about changing it by gravel, but I was to lazy to do it.
I also agree that my pond management approach is far from my tanks. I just see it from above and I really don't care if there are algae

Jordi
That's where the mistake is born, in the garden centres they make people believe ponds and pond soil are 2 inseparable compounds. But they are just a garanty of getting green troubled water and other algeas. For a large self sustaining pond it's ok, but small ones it is almost alway a stinky problem after some time. you rather don't stick your hands in without gloves..

Here are some pics of mine :) and as you can see it's clear like you could drink it, the water is in there for a month now. And it gets full sun all day.
Still have to put some more plants in there..
iUHyIpO.jpg

HKC8lUf.jpg

Potamogeton gayi doing better in the pond in the full stream than in the aquarium..
JeYFNoA.jpg

2qRHpfQ.jpg

I filter it like this
s8mjyM9.jpg

connected whit a hose to a cheap powerhead

and this to create some more movement, since it is 170 cm long.
xz9g4fQ.jpg

BBXq9Hi.jpg

When it starts to smell i do a bottom sifoning and put fresh water back in.

Mine is like this

3e33f8e079728183c2f0ea0218b3d0c2.jpg

5a887488a6a323c653b2f2a20db6ce9c.jpg

As mentioned it is being rebooted right now... I hope Ficus pumila will cover the back wall (since the roots reached the water it is growing very fast). I have pruned 1/2 of the Equisetum leaves that looked not very nice, as well as the Chamaedorea on the right that was much bigger.

During some time I looked for little solar panels for running an air pump. I guess it should be more than enough for such a small pond but I was never sure if the models I found were able to make the pump work or not, or if it was going to work only with the sun hitting directly the panels. I'm quite bad on electronics . Any help would be appreciated... I can really plug the pump, but the plug is in the other corner of the terrace, far from the pond, and I don't want to mess with electric cables and I would prefer a 'low carbon' solution!

Jordi

Nice one.. :) Looks great.. For pumps, search ebay for DC 12 volt air pump or water pump, they also run on 5 volts. not so fast but fast enough..
I use this one €3,50 and € 2.50 for the regulator, for cleaning the soil in my tank. If i run it ful power on 12 volts it sucks up my substrate. On delicate spots i use it half speed like 5 or 6 volts. And still bublles like crazy. Actualy never found a + € 10 - 220volts air pump you have to regulate with an old fashion hose pincher in an aquarium shop doing a better job. We get hassled in those shops you just don't want to believe. They must think we are crazy and sniffing to much aquarium water..
yO5eW3D.jpg

It easily runs on a solar power panel, put a rechargable battery between it. :)

Thanks zozo... dumb questions:

1. you don't need a regulator if you don't want to have any kind of control on the pump, right?
2. which are the specs of the solar panel to ensure that it will run the pump? I have found very cheap ones but people report that they only run with direct sun.
3. can you elaborate a bit more on "put a rechargeable battery between it". Which battery (mobile battery for example)? How? Easy to do?

As you can see, I'm low tech :)

Jordi

No you dont need a regulator, the regulator is just a pwm device which pull's the voltage down, i run it on a 12 volt power supply.. If you search for such a pump look at the voltage specs.. Like mine can operate on 3,6,9 and 12 volts, you need that for the sarting power, some wont start at lower voltage then 12.. The more volts the more the performance is. So buy first the pump, hook it to a battery set, like 2 AA in serie = 3 volts and see if it performs like you wish, if not connect 4 AA in serie = 6 volts and so on. Till you find the powerlevel you're happy with. Then search for a solar cell that gives that power, if i'm not mistaken you can also put those in serie to increase the voltage output. F.e. look in those cheap china snip snap shops where you can by all sorts of gadgets for a few pennies. There you might find a string of those tiny solar cell powerd garden lantarns or christmas tree decoration for € 7.50 or something where you can stick the solar cell housing with a pin in the ground, i've seen them at several places. If they run 6 leds they are over 5 volts, just look at the specs. Cut the lights of and connect the pump. ;) So you don't need a whole toolkit to reinvent the wheel.

And don't be afraid about china stuff, china is everywhere you look.. Some are bad some are good.. around my town is a solar cell factory "Soland" first it was a Dutch German coop, then it went Italian, all 3 went bakrupt, now it is sold to the Chinees ;) So the Chinees are in the Netherlands making solar cells. "Made in Holland". lol...

Last edited:
Look it this video it explains all, better than i can with writing the whole story down.

You can do it also without a charge controler using a diode in the + line.. But charge controler is better and wont over charge the battery.

See f.e. Banggood, there they sell 6 volt 3 watt solar cells for about € 7

Some things not mentioned.

(For this example I will use a pump that consumes 3 watts)

You buy a cheap 3 w solar panel, a voltage regulator*, and a 2.1 Ah battery

You connect it up and it all works well for a few days, then nothing, why?

As the pump is 3 watts, and the solar panel is 3 watts, what is left to charge the battery?

Also, a diode in line is NOT a good idea, since the style of battery best used for this type of project have a "Minimum working voltage" if you go below this voltage too often you will considerably reduce the life of the battery, but if you use a "voltage regulator" as shown in the video when the battery voltage gets too low, the battery will be switched off, which saves the battery from premature failure.

The other thing worthy of note, is that if like me you are in the UK, you will need a "rather large" solar panel, or several small ones wired in parallel to produce enough energy, which in turn puts the cost up, meaning is it still worth it?

Although a solar panel says (for example) 3 watts this is its maximum power output under direct sunshine, and don't forget the UK is famous for rain in summer and even snow in spring.

I am not saying don't try it, I am saying it may not be as good as you think it will be.

Hiya,

Loving this.

I have a couple of old sinks in the back garden up here in sunny scotland. currently they are daphnia farms but i'm planning on making mini ponds out of them and have been looking around for others ideas.

I'll post some photos when i get home although i'm still at the musing stage so they are nothing compared to you guys lovely examples.

John

Some things not mentioned.

(For this example I will use a pump that consumes 3 watts)

You buy a cheap 3 w solar panel, a voltage regulator*, and a 2.1 Ah battery

You connect it up and it all works well for a few days, then nothing, why?

As the pump is 3 watts, and the solar panel is 3 watts, what is left to charge the battery?

Also, a diode in line is NOT a good idea, since the style of battery best used for this type of project have a "Minimum working voltage" if you go below this voltage too often you will considerably reduce the life of the battery, but if you use a "voltage regulator" as shown in the video when the battery voltage gets too low, the battery will be switched off, which saves the battery from premature failure.

The other thing worthy of note, is that if like me you are in the UK, you will need a "rather large" solar panel, or several small ones wired in parallel to produce enough energy, which in turn puts the cost up, meaning is it still worth it?

Although a solar panel says (for example) 3 watts this is its maximum power output under direct sunshine, and don't forget the UK is famous for rain in summer and even snow in spring.

I am not saying don't try it, I am saying it may not be as good as you think it will be.
Hi Martin

Thank you for the comments. I live in Spain (Mediterranean coast) so more than enough sun! My concern is to really know each single piece of equipment needed to assess if it is really worth it. I mean, it would make no sense if the whole set costs 50 euros, because for 5 euros I can buy a cheapo pump, extend the cable and plug it. I was trying to avoid a cable crossing the terrace and using electricity...

Jordi

Yes ofcourse this will always cost more than a cable and a € 10 airpump :) if you like to run it 24/7 with a rechargable battery on solar cells. When you ask me about it and you dont give anything about the learning curve and the fun in putting usefull things togheter and have a lauch when you're done. And your basic knowledge realy is zip, no, it's never worth the money and all the hassle..

You can run it during the day directly on one 6 volt 3 watt solar cell and take for granted that it doesn't run at night or maybe not when days are cloudy. Which i only have seen in the winter months in spain in the mountains around Malaga. :) But like i said, then you need to search for a pump that can run and start in that range.. Not all motor/pumps listed as 12 volts can do that.. :)

To make it run early in the day, you actualy need one that runs on quite a low voltage, or it will only start running when the sun hits it full power.. Then the battery thing will comes in handy again.

The idea is possible..

Back