• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40 years and still going!

Hi Darrel,
Thanks very much for your advice on CD. I realise now that it doesn't need to be planted.....of course all the pictures I've seen of it show it growing from the substrate or pots! The plants I've chosen to start my new tank off all require high to intense light and I don't want to block the light out with rafts of CD floating around. I have left some floating but most of the CD that I've tied and added lead to keep it on/in the substrate is doing fine. As you say it readily absorbs the available nutrients and will certainly stay in the tank until the Hygrophila Difformis has acclimatised and established.
Regards,
Chris.

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update ...so to bring you up to date for day 43 of my first attempt at a 'high tec' tank.
At the end of week 4 I had increase the light intensity to 80% and everything appeared to be going well with good plant growth. So good in fact that I gave the Eleocharis Acicularis a 'hair cut'. I also trimmed back around 50% of the Ludwigiga Repens as it had reached the top of the tank and was beginning to shade the other plants. Whilst trimming I noticed that the slate had taken on a lovely golden colour. It looked really nice but on closer inspection realised it was Diatoms. I've read that the Diatoms often show up during the set up phase but then in most cases disappear all by themselves. I had planned to move my Otocinclus from my old tank in week 6 but after carrying out a nitrate test decided to put them in a week early. They did an amazing job and the next day the slate was spotless.
The Hygrophila Difformis (HD) I had ordered arrived at the start of week 5 and so I replaced the majority of Ceratophyllum Demersum. I'm much happier with the HD and looking forward to it reaching the top of the tank and hiding the heater.
A couple of days after the Otos' went in they appeared happy in their new home and so I decided moved my Rummy-nosed Tetra's into the tank. So now all of my fish have been moved across from my old tank which can now be decommissioned. Apart from the 9 Otos' and 18 Rummy Nosed Tetra's much to my surprise I also have a Pakistani Loach and a Red Shrimp! Both must have come in with the plants.
I've added a few pictures which I took at the start of week 7. Already the 'grass' needs another cut.

The first picture shows the whole tank and with the exception of the Staurogyne repens and the odd Ludwigia repens everything has been cut back at least once.

27Day43.jpg

The second picture shows how well the Vesicularia Montagnei Christmas Moss has grown although I'm a little disappointed as I had hoped it would hang down over the entrance to the cave. (The Pakistani Loach has adopted the cave as it's home) What I've kept of the Ceratophyllum Demersum is growing well behind the cave and needs regular trimming.

29Day43.jpg

The last picture shows the newly planted Hygrophila Difformis which once established will cover the heater. Also the Staurogyne repens (bottom right), which as a slow growing plant I was a bit worried about, is now beginning to creep across the substrate and is a healthy green colour. I have decided on a slight change of plan with the midground plants. The Ludwigia repens grows much more quickly than I imagined and in the near future I'm going to replace some of it with Alternanthera Reineckii "Red". Although this plant can grow fairly tall I've read that keeping it trimmed causes it to become bushy giving me a nice splash of red just above the rock line. As this is a very narrow tank I'm hoping this will give the impression of more depth.

30Day43.jpg

More updates in a couple of weeks time.
Chris.

Tank is looking fantastic :D

If you keep trimming the moss back to the rock (almost) that may encourage it to spread flat rather than just going "up", you might also take the trimmings & tie/glue to some small pieces of rock which you can then place in front of the cave area

Alternanthera Reineckii "Red".
this plant has quite large leaves, you may get a better sense of scale with L palustris

Given that your L Repens appears mostly green, I'm not sure how red your A reineckii will be, it may be "easier" to manage A reineckii "Mini" as you're wanting the red nearer the substrate

Hi Alto,
First of all thank you for the nice comment on the tank. It's very encouraging.

I will try trimming the moss back and see if that encourages it to spread. I have pushed some into the cracks in the rocks and it's growing well so I'll put more around the mouth of the cave.

You will remember from my earlier posts my intention, as a beginner, was to plant easy fast growing plants as an insurance against algae and keep them until I felt more confident with the high tec set up. The C.Demersum didn't perform quite as I expected and I've changed that to H.difformis which I think is 100% better and once established I will be able to shape it to how I want it.
Although it looks all green I have two varieties of L. repens one being L. repens 'Rubin' The problem is that it only turns red as it reaches the surface and then the leaves grow really big, catch in the flow from the spray bar, and a few days later have grown so much that they lay across the tank and shade the other plants. When I cut these down the stems that are left produce lots of side shoots with smaller leaves. Although they stay green I prefer the smaller bushier plants and I'm going to experiment with those on the right side of the tank by cutting them back and not replanting the tops. That's were the A.reineckii comes in. I thought if I planted it in front of the cut down L.repens I could get a gradual slope of plants towards the back of the tank. That is until you suggested A. reinecki 'Mini'. I like your suggestion, it's sounds exactly what I want, and I'm going to go with it. Now that I've seen the Staurogyne repens, which is reputed to be a slow grower, start to spread I'm more confident to begin trying other slow growing plants. I have to go passed my local MHA tomorrow so I'll order a couple of pots.

Thank you for your sound advice.
Chris.

Thanks Manisha.
I'm still very much at the learning stage but taking on board the advice from more experienced members and researching the internet regarding the plants etc, I feel I'm making steady progress. One thing I have learnt to to take make small changes and see the effect it has on the tank. I am still gradually increasing the light intensity and the volume of EI ferts. Before I started I drew up a plan of what and when I would do certain things and from day one I have followed it fairly rigidly. I have another 3 weeks to run before the end of the plan and so far other than changing a couple of plants the only except to this was putting my Oto's in a week early to deal with an outbreak of diatoms. I still have nightmares of waking up one morning to find the tank covered in algae!!
Regards,
Chris.

Back