• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

320l planted tank

7brain

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I’m excited to become part of this awesome community.

I’ve just embarked on my new aquascaping journey and would love to share my progress with you. I’m also eager to receive advice and suggestions from your side.

Currently, I’m awaiting the delivery of the soil so that I can begin hardscaping. Below, I will list all of my items:

Tank
- Akvastabil Fusion 325

Light
  • 2x AquariumSystems Proten Led freshwater (120cm)
  • AquariumSystems Proten wifi controller

Hardscape
  • Dragon rocks
  • Large Dark Iron wood
  • Small Red Moor wood parts

Filtration
- Oase BioMaster Thermo 850 (I am aware that this canister
is recommended for planted aquariums up to 250 liters, but since I will have a lot of hardscape inside, the actual volume will likely be under 250 liters)
  • Biological: Seachem Matrix (I have 4l of Seachem Matrix and I have plan to replace HEL-X 13 filter media with Matrix + to remove one foam and fill it with Matrix as well)
  • Chemical: Seachem Purigen (500g in purigen bag)

Substrate
  • Fertilizing Substrate: ADA Power Sand Advance M
  • Plant Soil: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
  • Decor: ADA Colorado Sand (little for front side)

CO2
I currently don’t have a CO2 system. My plan is to start without CO2 and consider adding it later on.

Plants
I don’t currently have any plants, but I’m interested in acquiring a diverse range of species. My focus is on plants that do not require CO2 supplementation. My plan for now is:
  • Anubias barteri nana Petite
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Ludwigia repens Rubin
  • Ludwigia palustris Super red
  • Bucephalandra Kedagang
  • Cryptocoryne undulatus Broad Leaf
  • Rotala rotundifolia

Fertilizers
  • APT3 Complete plant fertilizer
  • Seachem Flourish Advance
  • Maybe I will include some Carbon liquid as well

Water
I will use my tap water (KH-7 ; PH-7)
- Seachem Prime to remove chlorine and chloramine from my water.

I have a few questions for you all:
  • Is anyone using the AquariumSystems Proten Led freshwater light for their aquariums, and are these lights sufficient for a planted tank?
  • Given my substrate setup, do you think I need any additional substrate additives?
  • Could you recommend some plants that would thrive with my setup?
  • Is it necessary to add aquarium starters (bacteria) right from the beginning?

If you have any feedback or suggestions based on my setup, please let me know; any feedback is more than welcome!

Thank you in advance for your time and answers!

ps. I will add pictures later

Hi Welcome!
I'll try to answer some of your questions but I'm no expert.
  • Is anyone using the AquariumSystems Proten Led freshwater light for their aquariums, and are these lights sufficient for a planted tank?
    • As you have a big tank, there may be difficulty in the Light reaching the bottom of the tank. 36W should be ok.
  • Given my substrate setup, do you think I need any additional substrate additives?
    • Not initially but as the plants start to grow water fertilization will be needed. Don't add any substrate additives as Aquasoil is very rich.
    • The real world experience and scientific evidence is no. Plant heavily from the beginning and the tank will cycle.

Last edited:
Hi Welcome!
I'll try to answer some of your questions but I'm no expert.
    • As you have a big tank, there may be difficulty in the Light reaching the bottom of the tank. 36W should be ok.
    • Not initially but as the plants start to grow water fertilization will be needed. Don't add any substrate additives as Aquasoil is very rich.
    • The real world experience and scientific evidence is no. Plant heavily from the beginning and the tank will cycle.
Thank you for your answer and suggestions Mike!

Biological: Seachem Matrix (I have 4l of Seachem Matrix and I have plan to replace HEL-X 13 filter media with Matrix + to remove one foam and fill it with Matrix as well)
Keep the foam and HEL-X 13, it’s better biological media than matrix.

Back