• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ZoZo's Wabi Kusa?

zozo

My first :) inspired after emptying a Belgium beer and looking sadly at the empty glass. Lets say the Devil come out the box. And oops i did it again, chaos in a beer glass. 33cl Microcosmos, all are still very small and young from tiny little cuttings. about 7 different plant species and a few different kinds of mosses.

Still working on my photography skills and cleaning the glass, to go in there with more micro/macro detail. But so far this sneak peek of my first Wabeer Kusa.

DSCF5099 (Kopie).jpg

DSCF5105 (Kopie).jpg

It grew for over 8 weeks and i'm going to try now if i can force some to flower, this will take a few weeks anyway. So still time to practice the photo shoots.

Got 2 more W-K's cooking in the propagator, not yet ready for the first shoot.

To be continiued.. :)

Thanks you Roy.. :) yes i definitely got the bug.. Guess this addiction comes with the Co2 in the tank, hate to dispose the trimmings, can't get it over my heart.. I need more room, it keeps comming. :eek:

Stay tuned :lol: got another Wabeer Kusa on my mind and comming up. :)
Maybe some "Hemianthus callitrichoides - Cuba Libre" project as well.. Man!? I sound like an alcoholic.. :oops:
Well maybe some "Java XL Orange Fanta" instead... :woot:

Here is one i started september last year.. :) I placed it in a little table model greenhouse, which are relatively hard to keep an constant high air humidity.. Did put some rather difficult plants in it and it took ages for it to establish.. Also the wood was clean from the LFS and it took again a lot of time for the mosses to grow on to it and give at a kind of aged look. So for giving the mosses a had start i slowly planted it up with very small young plants and patiently wait and wait and wait.

From this september 2015
DSCF4393 (Kopie).jpg

To this
DSCF6284 (Kopie).JPG

To this and titled it "What's up Doc?" december 2015
DSCF5521.jpg

Bugs didn't like it and, ears were hanging rather soon and competely gone and dried out within a few weeks.. :( Java is a baitch emersed without high humidity.. :shifty:

But finaly is getting somewhere, moss grew in, wood is about gone and totaly overgrown.. And even the java fern came back to live after a few months.
So it is definitely possible to grow them emersed in living room conditions.. In this case it took 8 months to develop few little new leaves from a naked litlle rizhome without any leaves. I'm happy i just left it on there.. Kinda fellt in my gut. :thumbup:

To this, from september 2015 till today..
DSCF7410.JPG

DSCF7414.JPG

It still has a lot more potential and worth to wait a few months longer, but i ddn't wont you to mis out on these flowers.. :)
DSCF7408 (Kopie).JPG

This is the little survivor java fern.. :woot: When this WK is done, it's going to shine on a piece of wood above an open top tank.. Never thought i would see that one again. But it did.. :cool:
DSCF7406 (Kopie).JPG

A year worth of growing a WK. Pfew.. Lets see if i can make it survive a year longer. :)

Thanks Tim.. There also are 2 bolbitis in there, they are even harder and do not realy grow, but still live and actualy overgrown by others. :)

And some flame moss, also staying very low but definitely grows emersed.. Also in an upright fashion but only 1 cm tall..

Just another 3 years and your Bolbitis will be enormous like Amano's;)
Well if it's that it takes, i'm glad to wait.. On the top photo's you'll see it at the base of the wood.. It's still there in the excact same size also is a H difformis in there same story still only a 4mm in size, didn't grwo in a year time. It stands in such a ikea Socker greenhous, under the roof window in the living room. It was dormant all winter long because of the short day light periode and cool temps..The only moist it gets is te spraying few times a day. These greenhouses have so many gaps the air humidity as just little above whats in the room. I tried to take it out and put it on the table instead, but i saw the bolbitis not liking it within a week. It's more sensitive than a java it seems. But if planted young and small ;) it's a matter of time,Eventualy i planted only 10% of the HC and MC shown. It realy took off when the summer started. :)

Great stuff.Wish I had your patience :lol:.
Thanks.. That's about all i realy have, time and it's relatively free. :lol:

Have a few more in the pipe line.

The one on the left.. Trying some Crypto's to het hardy enough as centre piece, with some hydrocotyle and hair grass and some more.. :)
DSCF7416 (Kopie).JPG

And a Wabi Vino in Iwagumi style.. :lol: Moss and UG.. Goin slow but steady.. What i read it also can take a year before it flowers.. :)
DSCF7415 (Kopie).JPG

Just a pic for fun, of whats cooking.. :)
DSCF7515 (Kopie).JPG

But what trigered my attention is the UG in the wabeer kusa.. It grows lush and green down into the substrate against the glass instead of up. It's already in there a few weeks before the OP of this topic. That's something like last year september? +/-. Funny stuff that UG.

DSCF7513.jpg

:)

A little update on the Wabeer Kusa with which i started this topic.. I did set it up around september last year and in november posted the first pics above. Since it went to several stages of development, kept the glass closed for several months and a few months back before the summer started i took the lid off and grew it on like that. It didn't take long and got a massive fungus attack.. It distroyed half of the plants growing in there, but managed to defeat the fungus and grow on what survived.. And this is how it looks today a compleet different setup actualy evolved on it's own without me doing much about it.

DSCF7615 (Kopie).JPG

That little rotala mystifies me a bit, i bought it last year as a Marcandra mini type and grew it submersed.. After a while it was obvious it wasn't what i ordered it looked more like a colorata. I forgot who it was, but one said, grow it emersed to get a beter identification. Marcandra is dificult emersed and doesn't flower easy, while colorata does. Well this is the result after growing 2 very small plantlets almost a year emersed. It's still tiny to it propagated more stems, it never flowered. It not realy fond of growing emersed it strugles a bit but holding on. So it still might be a marcandra type, i'm still in the dark about it. But it's a wonderfull mini rotala, very suitable for very small wabi kusas.. :)
DSCF7623 (Kopie).JPG

Now Wabi Vino is also doing great also already few months old and developing steadily but slowly.
DSCF7616 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF7622 (Kopie).JPG

The big WK i finaly took out of the greenhouse a few weeks ago to see how it holds on in livingroom climate and it is loving it, it thrives in the natural light from the roof window, same age as the beer glass.. And growing long term WK's is realy fun to see develop and evolve without doing much to it than just some spraying and ferts once in a while. I all started this with very small and very young submersed form plant cuttings. It takes a lot of time to get somewhere like that but the patience pays off.

Tripartita goes mental.. Even the Java fern doesn't mind.. :woot: Did i finaly after so many failures get a Java to take living room climate? I think i did, it still is taking it for over 4 weeks now, but spray it 2 to 3 times a day.. :nailbiting:

Also this one contains the same little rotala from above, you can see in the back.. Has more room to grow, a lot mor substrate to root but doesn't, same age and still a very small plant.
DSCF7614 (Kopie).JPG

And a close up of the creeping HC in it..
DSCF7618 (Kopie).JPG

:thumbup:
DSCF7628.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Roy.. :) But i idiot killed the Java fern.. :( Sprayed with the wrong bottle, not paying enough attention and burned the crap out of it.. The rest i could safe, but the java burned away all it's leaves.. Sprayed with a to heavy mixterue of Potassium Phosphate.. 30 minutes later i saw it's leaves shrink and i knew i did something wrong..

Darn now i have to wait again for who know how many moths to get this rhizom to grow new leaves.. Sigh.. :arghh::oops: Emersed java ferns are so darn thoughy, unbelievable they are one of the easiest aquarium plants to grow submersed.. :rolleyes:

Darn now i have to wait again for who know how many moths to get this rhizom to grow new leaves.. Sigh.. :arghh::oops: Emersed java ferns are so darn thoughy, :rolleyes:
I hear you! They are super difficult to emerse unless it's very high humidity and temperature. Makes sense though.

Back