• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

zinc plated bracket 2" above water line.

EnderUK

I've made a light bracket in my hood out of zinc plated angle brackets. These sit in the hood maybe 2-3" above the water line. I've noticed that since it's a close lid tank some mositure gathers on them from condensation and surface splash. I know that zinc isn't really fish safe but the brackets aren't in the water. Just wondering if I'm over worrying, looking at stainless steel brackets it will take about a month to ship over from china without paying stupid money for them in the UK. I'm also looking at possibly plastic brackets.

Whilst I suspect the zinc coating maybe fish safe, if you have used any screws other than zinc coated (or plastic) you will get electrolytic corrosion in the presence of the damp/water, leading to electrolytes dripping into the water (probably not fish toxic) but may lead to failure at a later date.

Cheers Andy, I've just bought some ST.ST angle brackets off amazon, they should come tomorrow but they were a bit vague on the material or if they were coated, though they didn't look to be.

If they turn out to be naff, I should be able to draw something up for you ;) I have a work shop next door but the company takes a very harsh approach to guvy jobs. The joys of working for a corprate engineering firm.

Stainless steel ones came in and they seem to be stainless steel, I'm sure they'll rust in my water of pH 5 but at least they shouldn't be as bad as the zinc leaching. Thanks Ian for the advice I'll probably leave the zinc ones in for a month at which time I'll be stripping down the tank when I redecorate.

Back