• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zeolite base layer

I've been awarded some zeolite for winning a competition along with some other goodies. I probably would never use the zeolite in my filter just because I don't see the need in an established healthy system. I wondered though about memvers views on using it as a bottom layer with volcano mineral and some broken up root tabs (like juris does), then using aquasoil on top of this.

Sounds a good place for it to me :)
it’s lightweight and porous (check its floatability)

Or save it for use in hospital tanks, shipping fish etc

You can compare Zeolite properties with Activated Carbon.. Once it is saturated it turns into an inert substance. Afaik in about the same time periode, +/- 6 weeks and than its just a substrate as any other substrate will be, better nor worse. It can't hurt..

Tho zeolite can be regenerated with soaking it in salt water.. But added to substrate that part aint applicable.

Thanks @zozo ... Would the zeolite not make the nutrients it absorbs available to the plant roots then?

Back