• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Zebra Fish

I have come over here on the advice of a member on Tropical Fish Forum who said all of his helpful knowledge was gained from here. So wanting to get better results from my plants I thought I’d join. I already have a tank log on Tropical Fish Forums (under the same name) showing a step by step development.

So far in my tank I have had

X3 Zebra Danios

x4 Panda Cory’s with one death due to stress of the journey and possible unknown internal disease

x1 Amano Shrimp

x1 Nerite Snail which sadly died for some unknown reason

I am hoping to soon start boosting back up my numbers of my corys rounding up to having x5 corys. I am also hoping to get some snails back in the tank and get a horned zebra nitrite snail and get a smooth one again. I’m also on the lookout for a female amano shrimp. hopefully she will breed with my current male and provide live food for the fish (I know the fry/larva) won’t survive in fresh water however I may be swayed into getting cherry shrimp (again for the same purpose to provide live food and to clean the tank)

my main feature fish will come last of all. I’m hoping to add a male dwarf Gourami into the mix. but I didn't join this forum to talk about fish

plant wise I have

• Amazon Sword
  • Amazon Frogbit (I use to have loads with beautiful lovely long roots but for some bizarre reason it all started dying off I now have only three plants left with short roots. I’ve had to accept that my tank just isn't right for amazon Forgbit but I would love to have it again)
  • Water lettuce (I have tons of this in the smaller form, again not with many roots and with a lot of smaller plants but no large mothering plants. small plants are continually produced with little roots)
  • cambomba (I’ve got tons of this stuff absolutely great, I got it for the fish to eat which apparently a lot of fish do but so far nothings bitten yet)
  • jungle vallis (plently of long lovely leaves that need trimming but no additional plants produced yet)
  • S.Repense (received from a member on TFF and on here the one that told me to join which struggled until I started dosing CO2 in a non-pressurised DIY CO2 system)
  • Brazilian Pennywort (a recent addition literally added days ago I have one plant floating and 3 planted)
  • Christmas Moss (I have some tied to a piece of bogwood and some to a round white stone, nothing too exciting has happened with this I’ve just stated pulling bits off to tie in new places therefore encouraging growth)
light wise this is what I’m working with

CO2 wise I have my own DIY CO2 system, it’s non-pressurised and been set up for about 2 months. as of yet I am unaware what I am dosing as the bubbles come through my bubble counter in quick bursts, I have two yeast generator bottles as well as a spare bottle in case any mixture overflows (none as of yet touch wood) it then travels through the check line and the bubble counter before being distributed by the bubble ladder (the best way for a non-pressurised system)

my recipy is: 500g of sugar, 7g of yeast and about 500ml of water

p.s i would like to add photos but im unsure on how to do so, i shall try and add more later

OtL05H.jpg

this is similar to how my tank looks now just without the brazilian pennywort or moss ball

tL6lzM.jpg

this was my tank when i had all of my lovely long amazon sword growing

ntmDah.jpg

one of the three cheeky corys

220xXY.jpg

the amano shrimp, i do get very happy every time i see him out in the open like this

uTeZ38.png

and finally one of the three Zebra Danios, this is the only one i can never be sure when it comes to sexing on the whole i think its just a large male

Last edited:
thankyou, my tank size is in my signature. its a love fish panorama 40l :)

You will get a huge amount of info from just reading through journals and find specific info in the other forums.

ferts wise i am dosing 0.5ml of flourish daily before the lighting goes on as well as having 3 TNC plugs in my tank (one under the carpeting plant one in the left corner and on in the middle of the cluster of plants to the right.

lighting wise there's the information above about how bright they are and i have them on from 9 in the morning till 4 at night (im currently having issues with algae most likely due to fluctuating CO2 and lighting levels so im just trying to contain that atm) and theyre on a timer so its exactly those times every day

sorry i thought i included all of the info needed, thankyou for pointing that out

I'm sorry, i couldn't view your info on light in your opening post. Maybe it is my phone.

doesn't matter :) thanks for pointing out the other bits of missing info

I think the most important thing for you to address is your flow/ circulation. Did you mention what filter you're using? It looks like it's just a single outflow, can you attach a spray bar somehow?

Also how are you diffusing your Co2?

its an all pond solution corner filter 450-CIF, its already got a spray bar on it which most of the time points downwards so the powerful spray doesn't damage the floating plants roots

CO2 ladder, it was that or an air stone in order to defuse the CO2 as i have a non-pressurised set up. the indicator is on green all of the time so i assume that whatever level it is at is the right level for the tank, fish have had no problems with the CO2 level either

Hmm ok, I would turn the Co2 up for a start. Do it on a day that you can monitor the fish for stress.

how would i do that add more sugar to the mixture, i change on a weekly basis when it could last for 2 weeks so it shouldn't imact it too much (non pressurised and DIY so theres no turning up just changing the mixture)

Oh right, good point. I've never used that method so I'm not sure how you would go about increasing your injection. Better wait for someone who knows more.

the more sugar you add the more co2 is produced but the faster the mixture runs out

the less sugar you add in the mixture then the longer it lasts but less co2 produced

i'll add 600g of sugar into one of the bottles which is due a change and see how that goes, if worst came to worse i'd just change the angle of the spray bar and add an airstone

after speaking to someone who i got most of my advice from about this said that my system wouldn't support them because it wasn't pressurised enough it would either cause a leak or it wouldn't push through the defuser it would work for pressurised set ups but apparently not with my nonpressurised set up. i could experiment with the cigarette butt though that would show if my system could take the pressure may have to wrap everything up though to protect my white carpets :S

so update time after using the TNC plugs and APF fertaliser for over a week

7d4QFG.jpg

7J0Yac.jpg

theres been pleanty of growth root wise but the amazon frogbit very quickly lost the roots though :( dont know how to maintain it

tPIsNT.jpg
peakaboo :)

kNpyrq.jpg

timeline over a few weeks going left to right for the most recent

LGLvgQ.jpg

and the tank on the whole, pennywort hasn't melted much and gotten a few new leaves, moss ball is starting to recover its brown patches and growing well, the moss has been stripped back to go onto the rock and the bogwood now has nice new bits of growth

Back