• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yanks, We suck.........

For me, from the first time I set to on an aquascape, it has been about art and nature. The two influence each other and nature, knowingly or not has influenced the great artists of the past.
My view and still is, is that all you need to do is look at how nature presents its self. Iwagumis can look very bad indeed if the creator has not got a feel for how stones sit, which often results in a clumpy top heavy scape.

I am always looking at at gravel washes, fallen trees, how the biotic retake the abiotic to be their own. Its a study of nature that I love so much, to the extent that my career and education reflect this.

I think it is cultural and individual. I grew up being dragged to mountains and lakes, I grew up exploring nature, but my culture is not of an earthly type. The UK does not talk about nature, its rhythms or now we are intrinsically linked to it, and how we are all locked in the web of life. Its talked about on TV and thats where people interests end. The Japanese and more so Chinese are built on ancient connection and respect for nature through their religion. This is deep seeded, which in my opinion is why we see such strong scapes come from the far east. They also have some advance in time on us in terms of experience with scaping.

The US is a new country by many standards with views on nature that, from this part of the pond are more about exploitation and gain than respect for nature. This is purely how the US comes across to me and I know there will be exceptions to the rule. I wonder how the native American Indians would be at scaping, I would imagine very well and very deep and meaningful.

Its cultural and learned in my opinion.

Not trying to be nit picking because the above points from yourself Graeme and Viktor are valid but they to me are from an NA perspective.

I think Aquascaping can encapsulate so much more than 'replicating' or being influenced by nature itself. I think it can be so much more to the point where a scape is entirely false but looks right. Like an abstract painting that has no intent to replicate nature nor be influenced by nature. Where a Jackson Pollock just works. Anyone can then put a slant on it saying it means 'X' or 'Y'. Like A Modigliani would be great in the lounge and then anyone can put a slant on it saying it means 'X' or ''Y.

Maybe the Japanese have already done this. There are many pieces of artificial scaping be it the bowl in a tank or Zen style stones etc. Be it something like Globali is trying to do. Like these or not they are not NA and are often people taking risks. Putting their name (or username ;) on the firing line but they are pushing the boundaries. One of these will break that boundary sooner rather than later I feel.

With Aquascaping breaking into the Art scene exhibition stylee then there will I am sure be more contemporary 'works' coming through.

I think that is where the Art comes in on both sides whether it is NA, Dutch or artificial in appearance. It is finding the balance where it fits together. The jigsaw looks right and not like someone has forced the pieces together in the wrong order.

Maybe we shall see something out of the box along the themes I am talking of in the near future ;)

Any good book should not look at a book on aquascaping focusing on the use of nature as influence. rather detailing that as one aspect of aquascaping. If it does then it becomes an NA style aquascaping book. A Genre book rather than a compete guide.

Andy

+1 Graeme, great post

"I wonder how the native American Indians would be at scaping, I would imagine very well and very deep and meaningful."

Not sure the true natives will really love the idea of a fish box like we do. :)

Mike

Thats really interesting.

Maybe, what we are doing is creating aquascapes to please others more than our own creative edge..... If you look at an IAPLC contest, you will find that the following year, people are trying to copy the high rankers. Is that ego or flattery?

We are generally speaking, landscape artists for the most part. Who would dare do an abstract aquascape, and doit for them selfs, for their own creativity? Not many people I suspect. Its a lot of money on plants and time for the a large part of the scaping community to tear apart.

Ive tried going out side the box with my concept piece at the art gallery. I liked the fact that it created a mixed reaction, and debate. This is, to me what are is designed to do - evoke a reaction. You dont have to like it to appreciate it.

Perhaps scaping out side of the box is to risk loosing face if your driven by ego, or just to much of a risk in terms of expense.

Bring on a scaping revolution. :clap:

For more modern or arty scapes to be accepted, they need to be seen and out in the main arena. That would be the hardest part. It would have to be seriously good and get talked about all over the glob for there to be a shift in style. This then brings it back to competition. Its the most obvious way to hit the crowds......

I love art!

@ clonitza - True, they like their animals free with a free spirit. Still, an interesting idea.

A quick apology -

When posting the above first thing today, we had sone king if technical glitch. My post duplicated resulting in me removing the duplicate post. The forum tech part shows I deleted 2 posts of mine. However, it also removed supercolies post and colditza too, along with a strange renaming of post creator.

I apologise if I have messed with the flow of the posters who are affected. Please try and Cary on with what is a very interesting topic.

Our mods are going to see what they can do. I'm not technical at all.

Again, deepest apologies.

I live in natural aquatic systems as much as anyone on these boards. While there is inspiration, it does NOT imply I have any skill regarding horticulture or landscaping.

This is where I collect wood, this is a 300-400 meter waterfall about 3 miles way from me.
IMG_0202.jpg

Another location not far from me:
8c5fa4e0.jpg

My wife is Hawaiian:
smallwaterfallnapali1.jpg

resizedstump1.jpg

Florida I have worked, lived and spent a lot of time at:
mermaidweedFakaha.jpg

Lilyspringhygro.jpg

Kyleinheaven.jpg

Rainbowriver1.jpg

I've spent more time in nature since I was old enough to walk than I have with aquariums.
I am a Biologist by profession due to my interest. I seek to understand the basic questions of how and why these things are the way they are.

This can be applied to art as well, or mimicry of natural systems, not replication...........rather, to achieve their essence. Bonsai also has a similar goal in an art form. It is far older as an art form than planted aquariums however.

Still, while I am in these systems, I learn more about how plants can grow and adapt, the wide range of conditions they can exist, what is so called "natural", what is "horticulture". This are very basic questions a 4 year old child might ask you.

Can you answer them fully?

I would have to be comfortable with these questions in terms of art, what is natural, I can fully support however. I have had a few art courses, and it was clear to me that my memory and perception was different than the other people. But.....I tend to seek questions, not answers.

I also drag folks out into nature myself when I lived in FL and likely will have another plant fest sometime next year perhaps, depends on the little one and how she is doing.

You folks should come, it's cheap over here and FL is easy on the wallet. Send the kids to Disney land etc, then you head off to the wilds to feed the blood sucking bugs.

Invasive Crypt site in FL with Ricky Cain:
RickyCainatBubblingsprings.jpg

cryptsrainbow.jpg

Ghori after some red ludwiga in about 4 meters of water growing on pure limestone.
WhatMrGhoriwoudlooklikeinyouraqauri.jpg

10 km worth of swamp forest river:
Bobpauletal.jpg

Telling folks not to pet the gators or snapping turtles or water snakes, they all bite.
plantfest2004rainbowriver.jpg

Mermaid weed gets the "weed" name with good reason, might be tough for folks to grow in the aquarium though:
Mermaidweedresized.jpg

Utricularia inflata, a very pretty Utric.
Uinflata.jpg

And our good friend the Florida Gar in my tanks:

Garinplantedtank1.jpg

So...what style is this aquarium?
resized180Jan1st.jpg

It's not Dutch, but it's also not nature aquarium either. You could argue there are elements of both of those methods but you could also argue that Dutch groups are present throughout all nature aquariums also.
Both Dutch and Nature aquarist either take out or hide their equipment for the most part(Aesthetics of the equipment).

In the USA, few bother to do this last step.

Amazing shots Tom, thanks for sharing these. I enjoyed scanning through them. Maybe it's me only but the Hawaiian shots gave me more inspiration then the rest. :)

I hope i can join you sometimes for a tour. Would be amazing.

On your scape i would not categorize it. Why it need to be categorized? It's a nice tank and the wood looks very good there. I am missing the background plant a little, not because it's hide the equipments, but this would give better deepness of the scape and would make it more natural. I am missing something why this tank is not perfectly balanced. But kudos for the wood and for the healthy plants Tom also the fishes match perfectly to this tank both in size and colors.

If we are talking art... then for me... Barbera Hepworth is the master of biotic style art. She confessed being inspired by the rolling hills of the moors where she grew up in the north of England. She is inspired by nature, even though her art is not natural, though it does have an organic feel. Its shapes, curves and irregularities are all organic.

The video is of a collection of her work in her own landscaped garden in St Ives. Its a stunningly serene and tranquil space. I just loved it. For me, this garden and the art work was inspirational.
If your ever holidaying down there, you must visit.

viktorlantos said:
Amazing shots Tom, thanks for sharing these. I enjoyed scanning through them. Maybe it's me only but the Hawaiian shots gave me more inspiration then the rest. :)

I hope i can join you sometimes for a tour. Would be amazing.

On your scape i would not categorize it. Why it need to be categorized? It's a nice tank and the wood looks very good there. I am missing the background plant a little, not because it's hide the equipments, but this would give better deepness of the scape and would make it more natural. I am missing something why this tank is not perfectly balanced. But kudos for the wood and for the healthy plants Tom also the fishes match perfectly to this tank both in size and colors.

I would make sure you have a very good time Viktor!
Any of you.

Ole and Troels where given just a small tour when they came here from Denmark. I am a good host!

We have many diverse habitats in such a large country, even within California, which has some of the widest ranging habitats in a day's drive to any of them.

Yes, I find myself having a hard time to label my own tanks.

I have some new tanks coming up where I'm exploring some interesting stuff as well, the ADA 60 non CO2 is the better looking non CO2 tank I've seen in recent years. I have some wood I plan on using like rock and a very steep slope.

The 180 Gal tank is a dramatic tank in person due to the fish and behavior.
I think it is VERY hard to judge a 3D scuplture based on a 2 D photograph.
Video is better for long distance judging.

I had some plants in the background in the past and did use nothing but blyxa in the rear and front edge around the wood.

This looked decent overall.
This is a side shot:
180resized6.jpg

I really do not care much about winning contest, but they are useful for many to help hone skills and get to the goals that they desire. This tank is not entirely where I'd like it. I rarely have such tanks :oops: But I am closing in on more and closer to those goals. I tend to think outside the box on things, and ask some.....well.....rather basic questions. Implementing these ideas is another matter, we are all full of ideas, but acting on them is the key step and then execution.

Azores and the Canary Islands are good places to see.
Thanks, reminds me of the fog we get here in CA.

Mate you have some really nice jungle tanks but when it comes to simple ones, well, they remind me about parades, too organized, straight monochromatic gravel, man it looks like you are scared of it, play with it more, add some decoration sand, stones, George for example is the master using round ones. And stop aligning plants, aquascape it's not about counting plants. :)

Mike

Back