• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wrong drop checker?

dreynolds

Seedling
I've just been setting up the complete co2 system I ordered last week. Everything was okay until I got to installing the drop checker. Mine was different to the one pictured and in videos. Mine was u shaped and had no suction attachment. Having looked it up it seems to be one you hang on the rim of your tank - if the rim is less than 12mm! My Rio obviously isn't! Was I supposed to order a juwel version? Or am Imissing something (other than the correct drop checker) it is clearly not the one pictured on the website.

I'm currently running the co2 system without drop checker.

Hi
Welcome to the UKaps!
There are various shapes and sizes of drop checkers...purchase a stick on one with a suction cup!
Or even 2 if you have a larger aquarium!
http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker
Drop-Checker-Header (Mobile).jpg

hoggie

Hi
Welcome to the UKaps!
There are various shapes and sizes of drop checkers...purchase a stick on one with a suction cup!
Or even 2 if you have a larger aquarium!
http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker
View attachment 91660
hoggie
it was supposed to be complete system and I haven't been sent the drop checker I was supposed to. Even the email informing me of the despatch includes a picture of the set up with the universal checker. I didn't order the complete co2 system for people not using jewel aquariums!

To be fair they've emailed me straight back saying they'll despatch the correct dropper when it's back in stock. They had run out and didn't want to delay my order last week. Trouble is the replacement isn't universal like the correct one. As I'm new to this I'm unsure how important it is to have drop checker running immediately. I'm using the system without atm. And I don't know when to expect the replacement.

Depends whether you have fish in the tank. If you have I would leave off the co2 until the drop checker comes or set it very low as in 1 bubble per second. Not having enough co2 for the plants isn't a big worry, putting too much co2 for the fish is. I'm sure it won't be long for the correct DC to turn turn up but if you are worried there are plenty places that will do next day delivery and they are relatively cheap. Having two drop checkers is handy for keeping an eye on different areas of the tank and to have one soaking in bleach while the other is in the tank.

I don't have any fish in nor intend to for a few weeks. I'm working on establishing the plants for now. I'll leave it running. Thanks!

If you have no fish in then co2 is the least of your worries, get as much as you want in, the plants will love it ;) When the DC turns up you can start dialling it back to get down to fish safe levels.

Back