• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Would you call this frogbit?

Steve Smith

Just browsing ebay for some floating plants and stumbled across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0560834549

To me, that is a bowl full of duckweed with several frogbit plants, not "200+" plants as the seller describes. I sent them a polite message saying as such -

Just for your info, what you're showing in the photos is mostly common duckweed (Lemna minor), not Amazon frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum). Looks to be a few frogbit plants in the portion you are advertising, not 200+.

Duckweed can look very nice, but also be an absolute pain to get rid of once introduced.

Just thought you should know. Cheers, Steve.

Just got this back from them:

i think you will find it is frogbit as it came from my frogbit plants. duckweed is a completely different plant and a problem plant. i have no duckweed in my tank as i grew this from frogbit. thanks for your interest but not needed. would you like to buy some then?

I'm sorry, but that's flippin' duckweed :!:

%21BrnhiuQBWk%7E$%28KGrHqUH-CUEu7ccTqBPBL0cbUP16%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

What a Rip, there are only 3 amazon frogbits plants in that bowl.

Used the report function for the 1st time, was easy to do.

I quite like Duckweed when I have wood breaking the waters surface. It creates a nice effect when it clings around the wood.

Lol, the woman is Deranged. She refuses to accept the fact it is not Forgbit, And States that she has grown Many Other plants from it.

seriously though, it's not fair on the people who have/are going to buy it. do you think that she knows that it's duckweed, and is trying to rip people off, or does she really believe it's amazon frogbit? i'd send her an email with pics of frogbit babies to show her how they grow, but i don't have an ebay account, so i can't contact her. :(

pest control said:
seriously though, it's not fair on the people who have/are going to buy it. do you think that she knows that it's duckweed, and is trying to rip people off, or does she really believe it's amazon frogbit? i'd send her an email with pics of frogbit babies to show her how they grow, but i don't have an ebay account, so i can't contact her. :(

If she cared she would have accepted the help originally offered.

So let me see if I get this correctly...

There is some poor soul that thinks that duckweed is frogbit, and selling it as such, and there are some people that buy it, and you are contacting ebay and the seller to let her know that what she is selling is not what she thinks?

Why would ebay stop the sale? Do you think that most of the reps that work on ebay know the diference between frogbit and duckweed?

What is next? Someone selling xy moss and thinking that it is xx moss, and will you also contact ebay for it? :)

Frankly, why would you care what others buy? And why would ebay care what you think? They make their money anyway.

Being the devils advocate here.. :)

Hi ghostsword :crazy:
Its about morals and doing things correctly.
If you bought say some riccia from ebay and they sent you duckweed lol, you would not be happy.
So if she sells 200 portions that's potentially 200 people been sent wrongly described plants.
Legally she must advertise correctly all items for sale.Be it new or used.
Its to safe guard all purchases and protect me and you also.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi ghostsword :crazy:
Its about morals and doing things correctly.
If you bought say some riccia from ebay and they sent you duckweed lol, you would not be happy.
So if she sells 200 portions that's potentially 200 people been sent wrongly described plants.
Legally she must advertise correctly all items for sale.Be it new or used.
Its to safe guard all purchases and protect me and you also.
hoggie

:) ..

If I buy frobit and get duckweed I will return the item and get my money back, ebay allows for that, then leave her bad feedback outlining what I was sold. :) much easier way to deal with that issue that contact ebay.

I have returned a number of items on ebay, from fridges, to CO2 units.

This is a quote from the womans sales post:
"i only have 12 portions available so get in quick!

thanks for looking

PAYPAL payment only, uk only, no returns"

Can a seller get away with saying no returns? Because clearly if I thought I was going to get 200+ frogbit plants and I actually received a different species I would definitely want to return them!

I like to think of it this way: say I ordered 200+ Endlers and I received mainly guppies, I thought I was buying a higher quality product than I actually was getting. I personally see this as a type of fraud, whether or not the seller knows is here nor there. From the sellers response it is my opinion she knows exactly what she is doing is wrong. They are rather different looking with quite different growth patterns. I find it hard to believe someone would actually think they could both be the same species.

Back