• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Would you buy big ticket items from a not so known company in order to save money?

Ash J

Afternoon all,

Just wanting some opinions on the title. When purchasing big ticket items such as a tank/cabinet (not custom made) would you go with a less known company in order to save money or go with a more well known reputable company and pay extra as you know what you're getting from them?

Cheers
Ash

I have bought a few tanks and a cabinet second hand to save money, and this has worked out really good for me. If I was buying new, I'd buy from a reputable company so the warranty and all that was in order tbh. In this hobby I have found that investing in good equipment is worth it.

Buy on a credit card 👌

I’d go against @shangman a little though, (on quality/price). For pumps I don’t think any pump is as good as one of those all pond solutions externals, they’re starting to feel bomb proof. Makes my super jets, and oase look like expensive wastes.

Lights again, those Chinoros are really quite good. In fact, Kessil lights I have aren’t being used..!

Of course, there are exceptions and style != substance, quality and cost aren’t linked but they tend to align with eachother.

It depends to be honest - give us the specifics! Where are you thinking of buying from? And with what payment method?
So I'm looking to upgrade my Fluval Roma which I'm hating to a rimless tank roughly around the same size. I'm pretty keen on the Aquasys 150 as it fits closer to my budget/tank size.
All the well known aquatic sites such as Swell UK, Charterhouse aquatics sell this tank with cabinet for £479.99 (Lincs aquatics slightly cheaper at £441). However I've come across a "Tropical Aquatics" based in Bracknell that are selling it for £350 shipped directly from the supplier. I have requested a price match from Charterhouse but they seem to take forever to respond these days. I think there's just some reluctance getting it from a smaller company but it's so much cheaper than the competition. Payment will also be made by credit card as has all my aquatic equipment 👍.

Last edited:
If it was a less known company but supplying branded items then a couple of Google searches should give you a good idea of how reliable they are.
2nd thing I'd do if you want belt and braces is pay via credit card or pay pal, at least that way you'll have some comeback through them.

I only ever pay by PayPal and credit card for everything (save from buying from hobbyists on here), no commercial entity will ever get a bank transfer from me.

So I'm looking to upgrade my Fluval Roma which I'm hating to a rimless tank roughly around the same size. I'm pretty keen on the Aquasys 150 as it fits closer to my budget/tank size.
All the well known aquatic sites such as Swell UK, Charterhouse aquatics sell this tank with cabinet for £479.99 (Lincs aquatics slightly cheaper at £441). However I've come across a "Tropical Aquatics" based in Bracknell that are selling it for £350 shipped directly from the supplier. I have requested a price match from Charterhouse but they seem to take forever to respond these days. I think there's just some reluctantance getting it from a smaller company but it's so much cheaper than the competition. Payment will also be made by credit card as has all my aquatic equipment 👍.

In that case, I suspect you’ll be absolutely fine - Aqua One are a large global manufacturer, they’ll be the ones to stand by their product if your retailer lets you down. Just make sure you’ve not missed any small print that this might be a B-stock or ex-demo item - more likely the small LFS hasn’t properly implemented recent price increases.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your inputs, I'll give the LFS a call tomorrow to make sure it's A-stock that they are ordering etc!

Cheers

Ash

Just make sure you’ve not missed any small print that this might be a B-stock
More good avice right there.

You can buy these on Flea Bay for £299 Inc delivery. Only downside is the air bubbles in the silicone 🙄, might be worth a quick phone call to make sure these are grade A quality, and not slightly imperfect.

More good avice right there.

You can buy these on Flea Bay for £299 Inc delivery. Only downside is the air bubbles in the silicone 🙄, might be worth a quick phone call to make sure these are grade A quality, and not slightly imperfect.

Hi John,
I was actually considering these ones on ebay but I think I was just abit put off by the airbubbles in the silicone. I feel it's abit of a gamble of what may ultimately turn up :confused:

Could you find another tank to fit on your Roma stand? That would save you a chunk as most of the money is in the cabinet, even custom made shouldn't be too expensive.

Could you find another tank to fit on your Roma stand? That would save you a chunk as most of the money is in the cabinet, even custom made shouldn't be too expensive.
This issue with this would is the fact the Roma stand only has a depth of 35cm and I'm looking for a tank that has a depth of atleast 50cm.

Not used these guys before myself, but that's the best price I can see online.

It's a difficult decision as the Aquasys 230 can be picked up from the same ebay vendor for £427 which seems like an absolute bargain for a tank of that size being optiwhite albeit the silicone issue, which is tempting me just to go bigger. I've contacted the vendor to establish how many sides of the tanks are imperfect so will wait and see what they say, they do offer a full refund if you aren't happy with the item also which is a bonus.

It's a difficult decision as the Aquasys 230 can be picked up from the same ebay vendor for £427 which seems like an absolute bargain for a tank of that size being optiwhite albeit the silicone issue, which is tempting me just to go bigger. I've contacted the vendor to establish how many sides of the tanks are imperfect so will wait and see what they say, they do offer a full refund if you aren't happy with the item also which is a bonus.

If you’re willing to go to that price and can go bigger on the tank - how about this as an option (assuming you’re not set on a particular stand colour):

Back