• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worrying about TB

Hi guys, just to give updates on you guys.

Loss a couple more fish since med isn’t helping.
Right now I feed them Praziquantel, febantel, metronidazole I could find right now as Levamisole are not available anywhere.
but it's best mixed in with the food, and with some sort of binder being used such as Seachem's 'Focus', or agar agar, or some type of gelatin product. This is to 'hold' the medication so that it's actually delivered to the fish, and not lost to the water column.
Thanks you for the reply.
Never thought of that, could you give me some tutorial on how to mix the medicated food?

Moving on to the vet service story.
Earlier on monday I gave vet a call. I wanted to know what you guys thought on all of this?
In their website, prior to the call, I was asked for the info of the infected tanks and symptoms of the fish. (It was an online/via telephone vet service)
During the call, I was told that the problem is bacterial infection and Vitamin C deficiency. He also mentioned that
fish and planted tank are not suitable for some reasons. Plants cannot absorp Ammonia and Nitrite, only nitrifying bacteria can. And since my canister filter are empty, I need filter media and bottled bacteria so it doesn’t poison the fish. Followed by a long explanation of how the cycle works.

The sentence made me extremely skeptical about the vet tbh.
Surely, it can’t be about ammonia right? I never seen it shown on the test. And with this amount of plants I don’t see the point of having filter media to lower the flow. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• F39CCAD1-6BBA-4D8C-8ADE-7EC56D9EFFD2.jpeg
    F39CCAD1-6BBA-4D8C-8ADE-7EC56D9EFFD2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 7801CC0A-FD5E-4C48-9A28-F84C23ECE09C.jpeg
    7801CC0A-FD5E-4C48-9A28-F84C23ECE09C.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hi all,
During the call, I was told that the problem is bacterial infection and Vitamin C deficiency. He also mentioned that fish and planted tank are not suitable for some reasons. Plants cannot absorp Ammonia and Nitrite, only nitrifying bacteria can. And since my canister filter are empty, I need filter media and bottled bacteria so it doesn’t poison the fish. Followed by a long explanation of how the cycle works.
Unfortunately beyond clueless.
(It was an online/via telephone vet service)
I can't believe he was a qualified vet, if he was? That is absolutely shocking and you should get your money back.
The sentence made me extremely skeptical about the vet tbh.
Surely, it can’t be about ammonia right? I never seen it shown on the test. And with this amount of plants I don’t see the point of having filter media to lower the flow. Am I missing something?
No, you aren't missing anything, as even the most cursory glance at the scientific literature would have told your "professional advisor".

Point him at: C. O. Akinbile & Mohd S. Yusoff (2012) <"ASSESSING WATER HYACINTH (EICHHORNIA CRASSIPES) AND WATER LETTUCE (PISTIA STRATIOTES) EFFECTIVENESS IN AQUACULTURE WASTEWATER TREATMENT"> International Journal of Phytoremediation, 14:3, pp. 201-211>.
............ Considerable percentage reduction was observed in all the parameters treated with the phytoremediators. Percentage reduction of turbidity for Eichhornia crassipes were 85.26% and 87.05% while Pistia stratiotes were 92.70% and 93.69% respectively. Similar reductions were observed in COD, TKN, NO3−, NH3, and PO43−. The capability of these plants in removing nutrients was established from the study .........
Simply not true…. Plants can and will use nitrogen in different forms.
and that is the truth.

cheers Darrel

During the call, I was told that the problem is bacterial infection and Vitamin C deficiency.
I find this actually pretty amusing - I've read quite a lot of posts from "vets" that seem to believe that fish in the aquarium trade cannot possibly have parasitic infections, and that they are only found in the wild, so they blame everything other than parasites. My experience has been the exact opposite - I can usually identify signs of parasitic infections in every single aquatics shop I go to, which is why I pre-medicate fish in my quarantine tank before they go in the main one. A large amount of fish in the aquarium trade are in-fact wild caught anyway, and I find gut parasites to be amongst the most common that I encounter. Fish aren't exactly sanitary creatures, they eat each-other's poop all the time :banghead::facepalm: yesterday I literally watched one of my platy's poop, swim down and eat it, all within the span of 1-2 seconds. Gross.
Never thought of that, could you give me some tutorial on how to mix the medicated food?
I unfortunately won't be able to be of much help here, as I now just use Seachem's product 'Focus', which is very user-friendly. I previously tried to make a medicated food mix with agar agar, but the consistency was way too thick and the fish outright refused to eat it :lol: there appears to be a guide here - 12.7. Making Medicated Food
I don't think the medication measuring amount in that guide is very specific though, so if you follow a recipe you might want to double-check the dosing amount against what your medication packet advises.

Thanks again for response guys.
I can't believe he was a qualified vet, if he was? That is absolutely shocking and you should get your money back.
Yes he was qualified. Unfortunately though, this kind of doctors are common in my country. There’s even qualified herbal doctor that says there’s herb for every single diseases on earth, they don’t even have a scientific explanations for what they’re doing and people are believing them :nailbiting:
I've read quite a lot of posts from "vets" that seem to believe that fish in the aquarium trade cannot possibly have parasitic infections, and that they are only found in the wild, so they blame everything other than parasites.
It seems to me that they really like to make things more complicated than it actually are. And they doesn’t seems to have the fishkeeping experience like fishkeepers have.
How long had the tank been running before you added the 20 danios?
About 2 and a half months.

Back