• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Workshop backgroundbuilding Vivarium2010 - the result

MarcoB

Gday folks,

I helped the Ukaps guys during the vivarium2010 a bit as one of the crew. Our workshopstand was towards the ukaps stand. This year we repeated the backgroundDIY workshop again maybe because we have some skills. :shh:
For those who don't know our fair: We like to show the visitors practical tips and trics. We build this background "live"
during the fair.

Here's the result sofar:
2wocd8o.jpg

2mzflll.jpg

1zack1.jpg

161cpw8.jpg

This easter weekend it will be installed in a tank (if it fits)

Hopefully next year we could meet again with you guys!

greetz,

Marco van den Boogert
Vivarium2010

Same here, any clues to how it was made, do i spot some redmore root in there?

Sam.

yeah, its the "spiderwood" but used in a natural way. The gravel is normal aquagravel but it's mixed with laterite (red clay)
,large gravel on top and light gravel on the bottompart mixed extra.
We will start a website for DIY builders within the next couple of months with a step by step photomanual and materiallist.

Background's in!

I lost a lot of plants though so scapewise it's not that much now.
Aussie plantowners abroad australia please feel free to donate a cutting :friends: .....
Pics arent the best quality but within a few days I guess everything straightens out again.
29dvcqu.jpg

20htzc0.jpg

Connected all the CDM lamps today. This is sunset in the morning.
Little bit to much light but it takes 15 minutes to get this. Nice shadows, nicely yellow (830) and the fish like it.

k996ie.jpg

Aww, I thought this was going to be a vivarium. :(

What effect are you going for with the single spot light? Will it not give you patches of good growth and patches of indifferent growth. Same with the background, will that not effect the flow making it chaotic?

It's just the sunset Garuf. I've got 4 of those spots above the tank. Excepts the sunsets there are always 2 or 3 lamps on.
So every section get enough light. The assimilation of the plants is pretty ok so im not worried about growth. I have to harvest glosso every 4 weeks with only 2 lamps on.
The tankinlet is placed on the left topside, The outlet on the rightbottom. I've got no dirtheapes on the bottom also and besides that, nature is chaotic!

first tutorials almost ready! It takes a lot of time organising it but within a few months the complete site is ready

Take a look at part one of the nanoscape. comments are more then welcome
http://www.vivariumbackground.com

MarcoB said:
first tutorials almost ready! It takes a lot of time organising it but within a few months the complete site is ready

Take a look at part one of the nanoscape. comments are more then welcome
http://www.vivariumbackground.com

Comments...

Great tutorial so far. Clearly written, and pictures and text work well together.
I am looking forward to the rest of it :)

One thing that I think could be expanded upon is is suitable materials to use....

"Never ever use heat in combination with unset PU foam."
I do not know what PU foam is.
Also, if someone has some polystyrene already how can they tell if is safe/good to use?
Are there different polystyrenes?

I am planning a DIY background, and do have some polystyrene, it is 'packing' from white goods (rectangular'ish shape wedges). Will this be safe to use?

I also want to incorporate bits of rocks (dragon stone) into my DIY background, and, cover it in sand (unipac limpopo black sand), so hope you include how to do those things in the final tutorial.

Great stuff, keep it coming :thumbup:

thanks for the reply.
Suitable materials is a good tip. I will add some comments in the FAQ section.

For now: not all the foamtypes can be melted. Polystyreen normally is metable. PU foam like roofmate is usable. Mostly the yellow coloured foamtypes aren't meltable.
Of course it's a choice if you want to use the meltingtechnique. Only using knifes, chisels etc is possible also.

about the expandable PU foam.....don't know the normal term for it in english. We call it "PUR".
Buildersfoam used for closing gaps etc...

MarcoB said:
about the expandable PU foam.....don't know the normal term for it in english. We call it "PUR".
Buildersfoam used for closing gaps etc...
polyurethane ;) .

I have made quite a few fake backgrounds for my reptiles but I don't know how to do it within an aquarium.

With the reps I simply use polystyrene, waterproof tile grout and then several layers of sand and varnish.

I am rather lost when it comes to suitable materials that can be fully submersed in water, mainly the final sealant. I found out to my cost, after several weeks work, that sealing everything with yacht varnish does NOT work. :thumbdown:

I wonder if g4 pond sealer would do the job?

Last saturday I did a workshop at the local aquariumclub in Den Helder.
Here's the endresult!
x6lndh.jpg

We will be back at Vivarium2011 also!

Back