• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wood types

Ehcosbie

Aquascaping shops sell wood like bogwood and iron wood, but I don’t seem to remember these types of trees being mentioned during school biology lessons all those moons ago. So are these woods something like oak but being sold as something special with a raised premium?

Solution
The names you see are a mix of marketing names and the names of the actual tree/shrub etc.

Bogwood is wood from bogs (or similar places), ironwood is just heavy bogwood. Then you have things l manzanita wood which is from the manzanita tree, and spider wood/azalea root which is the root from azalea's
The names you see are a mix of marketing names and the names of the actual tree/shrub etc.

Bogwood is wood from bogs (or similar places), ironwood is just heavy bogwood. Then you have things l manzanita wood which is from the manzanita tree, and spider wood/azalea root which is the root from azalea's

Solution
So what type of wood is bogwood or ironwood?

Bogwood should be wood that been dug out of a bog. It used to be a byproduct of digging peat for garden soil or burning but I'm not sure if that is the case with all wood sold as bogwood. The old type is basically any wood that's been preserved and matured, often for thousands of years, in the peat. This makes it very resistant to rot.

Ironwood is a type a tree but I have no idea whether that tree bears any relation to the wood that is sold under that name.

Lots of names in this hobby, especially for stones, are just sales names and meaningless really.

Back