• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Won't use RO anymore, will some difficult plants gonna to survive ?

eminor

Hello, I have hard water but not so bad, I have to go to the garden center to get osmosis water, I can't afford to invest in an osmosis machine, I don't want to lose my most beautiful plants either. It seems to me that two or three are very demanding, I would like to know if I could manage to keep some plants with the following water parameters:

pH : 7.2
No2: 0
No3: 19 mg/l
NH4 : 0
°GH : 17
°DKH: 12
PPM: 240

my plants :

• Myriophyllum Tuberculatum
  • Pogostemon Erectus
  • Pogostemon Stellata
  • Eleocharis mini
  • Heteranthera Zosterifolia
  • rotala rotudifolia
  • reineckii mini
  • umbrosum micranthenum
  • hydrocotyle tripartita
  • cryptocoryne wendtii green
  • sagittaria subulata

Co2 : 30 ppm, tnc complete everyday, high light

thx

Not sure about first 3 but others would be ok. Especially the last few.

You should expect some losses though unless you are wiling to do the transition very slowly over a couple of months for example. That way you can back pedal and save em.

Not sure about first 3 but others would be ok. Especially the last few.

You should expect some losses though unless you are wiling to do the transition very slowly over a couple of months for example. That way you can back pedal and save em.
thanks, i'll try to change slowly =)

Hi all,
It could be, is it possible, i thought it was not good for aquarium ?
No, it is fine, a lot of <"serious aquarists use it">. I'm <"pretty risk adverse"> and I've used rain water without any problems since the 1970s.

Have a look at <"If it's yellow, let it mellow and RO is the devil">.

These are <"three of my five water butts">.

back_wall-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

No, it is fine, a lot of <"serious aquarists use it">. I'm <"pretty risk adverse"> and I've used rain water without any problems since the 1970s.

Have a look at <"If it's yellow, let it mellow and RO is the devil">.

These are <"three of my five water butts">.

back_wall-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel
That's amazing, great stuff, thank you, i've been thinking long ago about rain water because it's free and soft which is great for delicate plants, is it okay to get it from zinc roof ?

Hi all,
is it okay to get it from zinc roof ?
If it is been on the roof for a while? It should be fine. The galvanised zinc will have formed a crust of "zinc hydroxycarbonate", which is very resistant to corrosion.

If it is a very new roof? It is not ideal, but a lot depends on how soft your rainwater is. It would be fine for me, because it is all limestone here and the rainwater is buffered up over pH7, but you could get soluble zinc sulphates formed if you have very pure rainwater, suffer from industrial pollution or live close to the coast.

The "Daphnia Bioassay" works in pretty much all circumstances, basically if you rainwater has swimming Daphnia it is fish safe.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

If it is been on the roof for a while? It should be fine. The galvanised zinc will have formed a crust of "zinc hydroxycarbonate", which is very resistant to corrosion.

If it is a very new roof? It is not ideal, but a lot depends on how soft your rainwater is. It would be fine for me, because it is all limestone here and the rainwater is buffered up over pH7, but you could get soluble zinc sulphates formed if you have very pure rainwater, suffer from industrial pollution or live close to the coast.

The "Daphnia Bioassay" works in pretty much all circumstances, basically if you rainwater has swimming Daphnia it is fish safe.

cheers Darrel
thanks you so much, yes my roof is 35 yo =)

Back