• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Without Foundation - James Maslin

JamesM

without_foundation.jpg

Speaking with some members from ukaps late one night, we got chatting about what could possibly make a Great British 'Scape - many jokes were passed around about shopping trolleys, empty beer cans and bottles, sticklebacks and the like, but it got me thinking about alternative ideas... and when I stepped out of the house the next day, it hit me! Living in a new house on a new estate is great, but our back lawn was a mess, so a few summers ago I turned the entire lawn over to start fresh, only to discover about 50 or so bricks left over from some (lazy) builders. A few bricks I'd kept for unknown reasons were happily being covered by winter growth just behind my shed, and they looked just the ticket...

Continue Reading...

Lol, why not! Though I'll admit to checking the first post date to ensure it wasn't April 1st!

This is brilliant! I have been thinking about something similar for a while.

Hehe cool idea James, we need an overview shot rather than one upwards ;) to get a better feel for it.
Plant grows looks excelent, all you need is some grass coming out of the holes hehe ;) great stuff

Strangely enough, this really works for me, too. I bet Oliver Knott wishes he had thought of it first.

Were there any worries about any chemicals leaching out of the bricks?

Dave.

:p great mate, but you know i like it.

it's just one of those things that work, not very often in life does something work that shouldn't. I'm glad your part of plantedbox.com!

my guess is the bricks are fine, after all it's just fired clay.

Cheers guys :)

I did wonder if there may have been concrete added to the bricks, but a builder friend thinks they are just clay too, so I should be good. I did test with vinegar and soaked for 72 hour - tests were pretty much the same as plain water after 72 hours, although my test kit is next to useless :rolleyes: Mature filter was used from my previous setup (Evolution) and fish and shrimp are all happy.

I like it. lots. I suspect that many have had the idea, but very few have had the kahunas to do it.

I think you should enter into some comps as a UK biotope (not joking). I guess you would need to take the livestock out and put some UK fauna in for the photo shoot.

Back