• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will this tank need bracing?

pinchez

I’ve got an old sump which is 80 x 50 x 40 cm’s High, base glass is 10mm and sides are 6mm and the glass is in excellent condition.

I’m thinking of removing the baffles then re-sealing and turning it into an All in One Tank by adding a chamber at one end like the Evo Tanks (done this before)

the big question is will it be ok braceless? I really don’t like bracing on tanks!

Most tanks of that height are generally in 8mm or thicker glass.

The cheap all ponds solution tank is roughly the same dimensions and in 8mm, I would guess they use the thinnest/cheapest they can get away with to keep costs down.

But I'll let someone with experience in this answer better :)

I agree with Nick. I don't think a 40cm 6mm high is the problem but it's a fairly wide and long tank for only 6mm and I think you will see bowing. This is why clearseal used to put thin glass strips along the length of their tanks for more stability.

Cheers chaps, I’ve gave up with this idea and decided to get my LFS to build me a tank.

Custom tank will be 90L x 50w x 40h braceless using 10mm float glass. at a volume of 180L.

I’ve looked at the tank safety calculator and because it’s not a high tank it gives it a very safe score, unless someone knows different?

Back