• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will shrimp be compatible with these tank mates?

Fern

Hello
I've a 70l tank up and running for about 2 years, sand substrate, heavily planted with java ferns, moss on wood etc, no co2, with about 25 Mosquito rasbora and 6 Kuhli loach.
Will shrimp (haven't decided what ones yet, and not kept shrimp before!) be ok with these tank mates?
Regards
Fern

Yep. The rasbora might pick off the tiny newborn shrimp if you manage to breed them, but if it's heavily planted, this will only be one or two.

Thanks, yep, was wondering if they might pick off a few tiny ones, hopefully it's planted up enough to allow some to hide and survive, if they do breed.
Fern

I may be completely wrong but I think I read somewhere that kuhli loach and shrimp are a big no no ?

If you are worried about your fish eating shrimplets and your heart is not set on dwarf shrimp you could look into getting some bamboo shrimp instead. They're larger than dwarf shrimp (Taiwan bees, crystals and cherries) and so not likely to be pestered too much by your Mosquito rasbora and Kuhli loaches. They're also good in community tanks.

Mosquito rasboras could be housed with shrimp , and are nice little fish, however They prefer very very soft water Tds from 20-70 and like the as PH low as possible ( around 5) to thrive. Also like black water too.

Shrimp prefer harder water, obviously depending on what type of shrimp you want. Cherries prefer it around the 200 mark, and struggle a bit at softer levels.

Thanks for all the replies
I'm not all that worried about any shrimplets being eaten as such, as long as a few survive, at least it will help keep the numbers down a bit. I do have soft water where I live, the Mosquito rasbora are lovely little fish and are thriving in their tank.
I have taken the plunge and added 12 cherries two days ago, they seem to be fine at the moment, and are quite active swimming about and grazing on the fern leaves and moss.
I'll keep an eye on them regarding the perameters, and will probably move them to a tank of their own.... if I can catch them :lol:
Fern

Just a quick update on this, Shrimp are doing well, a few pic's, not the best quality, apologies. Lot's of baby shrimp do seem to survive, but the tank is certainly not over-run with them, so I guess a few are picked off.
Fern

shrimp2_zps4051ac15.jpg

IMG_20140213_190557_zps80494781.jpg

2014-02-13180830_zps7b88c8dd.jpg

Attachments

• shrimp2_zps4051ac15.jpg
    shrimp2_zps4051ac15.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20140213_190557_zps80494781.jpg
    IMG_20140213_190557_zps80494781.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2014-02-13180830_zps7b88c8dd.jpg
    2014-02-13180830_zps7b88c8dd.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 72
Thank you Roy, I really like Kuhli loach, fantastic personalities, love the way they drape themselves on the plants and 'pop' out from under the wood :lol:

Back