• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will It Work

nelly1066

Seedling
Im just setting up a planted 6ft oscar tank and had an idea for substrate but am unsure if it will work.I want sand substrate but also lush plants,could i use shallow pots(4 to 5cm) filled with eco complete to pot them and then fit plastic mesh over the pots(like the stuff for java moss walls)securing it under lip of pot,small cuts in mesh to pull plants through then placing in tank in correct positions and filling tank with 6 to 7cm of sand,hey presto Oscar proof plants.The reason i want to do it this way rather than a layer of eco complete and then sand on top is i want the whole substrate sloping to back of tank and up to the sides,and dont want the dark eco complete exposed,any advice greatly apreciatted

Why not just plant straight in to the sand? It is way simpler, and gives your plants more leg room. An adequately dosed water column will take care of growth, without the need for Eco Complete.

Dave.

i need to secure the plants really well, oscars will rip them straight out of sand

i need to secure the plants really well, oscars will rip them straight out of sand

Back