• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will cherry shrimp be ok with my stock

newscaper

I know the answer to be honest but was wondering if anyone has any tricks to save shrimp from greedy fish?

I would love to keep shrimp in my tank for the obvious clean up benefits and also because I love to watch them.

My tank is well established but was a ‘family pet project’ so has some suspect fish choices. I have leaned my lesson now and strictly limit new live stock when the kids go fish shopping.

The main problems are a pair of angels and a silver shark. The rest, cardinals, runny nose and red fins should be fine?

I’m aiming towards heavy planting hence joining the forum. Things are progressing nicely but is there anything I can do to specifically protect shrimp from ending up as dinner?

If not feasible I’ll leave it but would love them if I can.

I do have one very hardy ammano who’s quite large. Sadly I lost three recently. All oddly jumped out of the tank.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, I don't think that would work. I think it's highly likely even full size adult shrimp would be on the menu. Definitely as the shark grows - I'm presuming it's not full size i.e. 8"+ yet at that point the cardinals might be on the menu too.

But, a little 20-30L tank makes a nice cherry shrimp only setup, gives you a chance to experiment a little with different plants, hardscape etc. you'd be able to watch them breed successfully with no predators and maybe even down the line trade some in for store credit.

Nope, I don't think that would work. I think it's highly likely even full size adult shrimp would be on the menu. Definitely as the shark grows - I'm presuming it's not full size i.e. 8"+ yet at that point the cardinals might be on the menu too.

But, a little 20-30L tank makes a nice cherry shrimp only setup, gives you a chance to experiment a little with different plants, hardscape etc. you'd be able to watch them breed successfully with no predators and maybe even down the line trade some in for store credit.

That’s part of my plan soonish. I’m slightly limited on space over the Christmas period so early in the new year I will setup my spare 30l for shrimp and snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your shrimp will just be expensive Angelfish food unless you use a plastic mesh tank divider for a smaller separate shrimp area within the tank.

Shrimp may still cross into the predator side & be eaten depending on the divider hole size. You can tie wrap a smaller fly screen or garden shading mesh to the divider reducing the hole size further.

Whether you like the look is personal preference, disguise it by tying plants to it. So it is possible, depending on tank size. There's some on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fish-tank-divider

Last edited:
Back