• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will adding 2 of the same light, double the intensity?

have been pondering something similar. I went with a £30 hygger unit off amazon for my 45cm wide cube. It has fairly basic dimming and timing functions. I've considered adding a second, to give a little more light towards the front of the tank, with the option of running both of them at a lower level or on different timer settings. In retrospect, have wondered if paying more for a light with better control, but in general am pleased with the hygger, for the money. They've now launched a version with much better controls, the 957 which looks great value compared with the big name brands, but seems at the mo to be only available in the US. There are reviews on several US youtube channels, but this one was what I watched.
I'd say, if you do add a second light, there's no obligation to use the same unit as your existing one if you find something, say, at a lower wattage, or with better controls.

Last edited:
Perfect. Thanks for your help bud. Appreciate it. At one point earlier on I was thinking about shutting the tank down.
No reason to shut this tank down. It is already looking good and will look great in a couple of months once you sort out the fertilizers and make sure CO2 is as stable as possible (which is easier said than done). Systems with strong lights and CO2 injection are quite sensitive and small changes can destabilize them, and the end result is often an algae outbreak...

oh, no .. it's a really lovely tank .. shame to tear it down
Thank you. And I will definitely look into a dimmer for the lights. It'll save a lot of hassle
No reason to shut this tank down. It is already looking good and will look great in a couple of months once you sort out the fertilizers and make sure CO2 is as stable as possible (which is easier said than done). Systems with strong lights and CO2 injection are quite sensitive and small changes can destabilize them, and the end result is often an algae outbreak...
Thanks man. I gave up far too easily last time on a bigger tank I had, I'll try not to do that again this time. Lol. I'll take baby steps into changes and keep an eye on the effects of the changes

Back