• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wild P. scalare 'Rio Nanay'

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted any photos of fish so I'm pleased to show off my latest additions.

Yesterday I bought 7 of these from my LFS, The Waterzoo, Peterborough.

I told my wife I would be getting a shoal of cheap tetras for my 240 litre Amazon biotope and saw these instead...

The shop kept them in almost pure RO and really warm so I've replicated the conditions.

I'm not sure if their natural biotope is tannin-stained so I'm awaiting a reply from Heiko Bleher, unless anyone else knows...?

So far they're feeding well on a mix of frozen foods and Tetra Prima, but they are very skittish when I approach the tank. I may invest in some dither fish, but am waiting for my wife to calm down first (they weren't cheap)!

Anyway, I hope you like them.

6029434210_c4241c208d_o.jpg
angels2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

6028881169_1f1022ca88_o.jpg
angels1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Re: Wild P. scalare 'Peruvian'

pretty much all the rivers in Peru look like mud. Do you know which 'Rio' they were caught from?

Congratulations on some beautiful fish there, real head turners. Hard to tell from the photo but could they be Pterophyllum scarare var. 'Santa Isabel' or P.scalare 'var. peruensis altum'. Here is a video from a friend of what he thought were Altums

Whatever they are beautiful looking fish :clap:

You're welcome George, but I'm just guessing :oops: Still if I did help the great George Farmer of PFK fame it certainly be a feather in the cap ;) Found this site since the last post that might help
http://www.finarama.com/tba/identification.htm
Could I be a pain and ask (via PM) how much if it's not too nosey :shh: I am a nosey so and so
Dave

Thanks for the info and I apologise for being so nosey :oops: and hopefully Mr Bleher will be able to help with the I.D of these pretty Angels as they do look special. He does seem a fountain of knowledge and indeed I used his knowledge to identify some wild caught acaras that were given to me by a owner of a pet shop. Must also commend you on your enthusiasm here as it is really nice to see someone in the 'industry' such as yourself get excited about their fish and even more so admit that they don't know everything so my hat's off to you

mrjackdempsey said:
Thanks for the info and I apologise for being so nosey :oops: and hopefully Mr Bleher will be able to help with the I.D of these pretty Angels as they do look special. He does seem a fountain of knowledge and indeed I used his knowledge to identify some wild caught acaras that were given to me by a owner of a pet shop. Must also commend you on your enthusiasm here as it is really nice to see someone in the 'industry' such as yourself get excited about their fish and even more so admit that they don't know everything so my hat's off to you
Thank you, kind sir.

George Farmer said:
mrjackdempsey said:
Thank you, kind sir.
You're very welcome, any chance I could 'borrow' these wee lads :lol: Only joking, though am really looking forward to seeing the master piece of aquascaping these will inspire from you.Please be kind enough to let us know what Heiko thinks they are as I'm dying to know

You never know mate, they might spawn, then who knows... I have a spare set-up just in case...

Anyway, the manager of the shop has just contacted me to say they're P. scalare 'Rio Nanay'.

I'm off to so some intense research! Feel free to let me know what you know about them too..

just spent the last half an hour googling different wild P. scalare and I'm afraid I'm none the wiser ,these 'Peruvian Altums' can reach 12" from tip to tip so seriously big fish, enjoying this as it's a wee bit like a detective novel but I'm afraid Agata Christie got me every time :lol: Think I should keep quiet as I show myself up as the fool I am, really interested in what Heiko thinks they are as there are different variants named after rivers and towns where they are caught. Any chance of a video soon, George and again thank for something of a mystery story, not a whodunit but who is it

George Farmer said:

i have not been to rio nanay, but have been to other rio's nearby, including the rio negra referenced in that article. they are all tributaries leading into rio amazonas, and they are not really tannin stained, they just look like mud for the most part. There is the odd exception, rivulets here and there are heavily tannin stained, yet crystal clear at the same time. Very little fish in these sections though (from my limited time spent there).

The nearest city is iquitos, an airport was built there about 10 years ago so it is very accessible. Before that the only way in was by slow boat hops, which takes about 3 weeks. It is a dangerous but beautiful part of the world.

My post is a little ot, but i figure a little insight into the area will be welcomed :)

Back