• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why is my Willow Moss not growing?

Kezzab

My moss is not growing well, despite what appeared to be a great start.

Growth seems to have stopped, with tips turning brown.

Tank is 15l flexi mini - so high light (very high, as the moss is about 1 inch below surface), 5 hour light period. Co2 is fine, 10 hrs a day. Dosing EI. Water is very soft. 5 Cherry shrimp, 3 Amano. Circulation is fine. WC 50% a week. Sits on east facing windowsill. Water temp 22c.

Small amount was tied on with cotton thread, grew really strongly for a couple of weeks. I then made a mistake and used Glularaldeyde on a small section of Cyanobacteria. This damaged the area on the right on the narrow branch, but despite it only contacting that small section it seems to have had a negative impact on the whole lot, possibly?

Should i just start again, as I have the remainder of the pot growing happily on the windowsill in a dish?

Thoughts?
moss.jpg

i'm no expert, but perhaps if you trimmed off the main affected area there could be improvement. Will wait to see what experienced members say

Hi all,
I then made a mistake and used Glularaldeyde on a small section of Cyanobacteria. This damaged the area on the right on the narrow branch, but despite it only contacting that small section it seems to have had a negative impact on the whole lot, possibly?
Looks like glutaraldehyde damage.

The moss isn't Willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica), that has leaves in rows of three, rather than the the single plane of the moss in your image.

cheers Darrel

Ah, yes, I think i mean weeping moss, knew it began with a w.

Would you suggest a heavy trim, or bin and start again?
Look like Weeping moss, yep, which is a Vesicularia. Those prefere a bit of added CO2, and a reasonable level of light (as opposite to Taxiphyllum (ex. java), that can allmost grow in a closed closet at new moon (= pitch dark) ,with no added CO2).

Back