• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who runs airpumps at lights out.

Puntius

Good day all.

Just wondering if it is needed to run a airpumps to de-gas co2 to the air. My co2 goes of an hour before lights out and then my air pump runs from 22h00 till 12h00. My co2 then comes on at 12h45 and my first light at 14h00 my other lights come on ag 14h45. Please share how your co2 and lights are running. But the main question here is, who runs airpumps between co2 phases.

Please advise...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is my timings from
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

upload_2016-10-3_14-9-19-png.png

Light 14:00-22:00
CO2 13:00-21:00
Air pump 22:00-13:00

All sounds good, see most of you only running air for a few hours though. Will also maybe decrease my air from 22h00 till 12h00 currently. To new time slot of 00h00 till 06h00. Any thoughts on that. Knowledge is power people. Share please.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The longer the increased surface agitation the better the O2 exchange at the surface better for plant growth, will also gas off CO2 produced by plants and inmates. Did have mine on longer but wife complained about the noise:crazy:.

T Amano use to lily pipes up at lights off and down when CO2 on its the same principle

Thanks. I have an air pump installed which I only usually use during water changes. This is to keep circulation going and to ensure Prime is doing its job before I turn the canisters on again. I've often thought that running it for a few hours after lights out might be beneficial but maybe not?

What I found is that running an air pump part time creates different water flow patterns lifting/moving dirt & detritus which is then taken away by the filter. The detritus pile that used to accumulate at the rear of my tank no longer appears. Also any oily surface film from plants is quickly broken up.

Iv'e been wondering about this myself although i don't run one at the moment . what i have been thinking is with co2 being heavier than air does it just accumulate between the water and the top of the tank and just sit there ? if so how do we replace it with o2 at lights out without an extractor ? I am overthinking it I guess or the fish would be belly up by the morning ! atb Gary.

After all co2 is just frozen co2 i believe

now that is a really interesting comment. I never experienced my tank degassing when i had slidding tank covers, drop checkers always remained light green/yellow. when i removed these covers the tank degassed perfectly.

my conclusion was co2 formed a blanket in the space between water and glass covers, as there was only small openings there was no chance for the co2 to escape.

Back