• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who needs plants, anyway!?

Tonser said:
Lovely pic George - the colours are beautiful :D

The metadata reads correctly in Bridge by the way :D The photographer I assisted when I first came to London shot on a Leica R8, with their 50mm F1 lens :wideyed: The (lack of) depth of field you could get with it was just amazing !

Tony
Thanks mate.

Sounds like a very cool job...

Nice shot, George. Is this your biotope? FTS? :D

Applaud the biotope idea even if it is a bit worrying that you are looking at stuff which is none NA related. You've done a great deal for the hobby in the UK mate. Even if you look at it from one angle alone PFK has a lot more stuff related to NA tanks and stuff of that nature, we never had that before that's for sure.

I too have often thought of going and doing a marine tank, I did have one about 5 years ago where I kept common clowns, green chromis, hermit crabs, turbo snails and brown alage. The live rock was particularly interesting, seeing weird stuff growing on it, feather dusters emerging etc but the whole tank just got destroyed with algae and I had to take it down, I was just using tapwater so that was probably the reason. The clownfish I kept though I will never forget, they're such interesting characters coming to greet you when you come in, and the colours of the fish are just breathtaking.

If you approach this marine project with your aquascaping hat on it would be pretty interesting to see something aquascaped with thought rather than just pilling live rock up the back wall of the tank.

oldwhitewood said:
rather than just pilling live rock up the back wall of the tank.

Not a lot of people do this anymore. There are some really well scaped tanks out there at the moment, have a browse of some reefing forums and you'll find some stunners about :D

Joecoral said:
oldwhitewood said:
rather than just pilling live rock up the back wall of the tank.

Not a lot of people do this anymore. There are some really well scaped tanks out there at the moment, have a browse of some reefing forums and you'll find some stunners about :D

I'll have a look sure, as I say 5 years ago was when I was into it. If you can recommend any images I would love to see them.

saintly said:
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=17&p=5

It's good don't get me wrong, I guess the aquascape bit comes with choosing the different corals and stuff. Where's the form though to me it's just a big mound? It looks bloody impressive though.

Thats what I think will be interesting; where you can take a marine tank in terms of design to make it different. I always go back to some of the marine tanks in the ADA gallery, they're quite interestingly scaped in a way I've never seen before.

TDI-line said:
How can you hold the hair dryer for the ripple effect, scare the fish to shoal, and take the shot. :D

i have something thats called a "wife" there great little things for jobs such as....holding hair-dryers, mopping up spills....the list is endless. :lol: now, now folks I'm not really being offensive...trust me, with my wife,i dare not

oldwhitewood said:
It's good don't get me wrong, I guess the aquascape bit comes with choosing the different corals and stuff. Where's the form though to me it's just a big mound? It looks bloody impressive though.

Thats what I think will be interesting; where you can take a marine tank in terms of design to make it different. I always go back to some of the marine tanks in the ADA gallery, they're quite interestingly scaped in a way I've never seen before.

just shows you i don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to these things. i've never seen them as good as that, but i guess it's like a planted tank with healthy plants but not scaped well?.......

i've never been a fan TBH

aquaticmaniac said:
Nice shot, George. Is this your biotope? FTS? :D
Thanks!

No full-tank shot yet, but look out for a short video clip on the PFK site, soon.

TDI-line said:
I just don't get it.

How can you hold the hair dryer for the ripple effect, scare the fish to shoal, and take the shot. :D

Btw, great pic.
No hair-dryer or fish scaring mate. The filter outlet was pointed upwards and flow turned up for the ripples. There's 22 harlequins in there so 'scaring' them isn't required to get a shot of a couple together...

Thanks!

oldwhitewood said:
saintly said:
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=17&p=5

I'm not a fan of those 'scapes and fish. To gawdy for my liking.

Biotope marine set-ups are severely lacking in the hobby too, so if one can combine a decent 'scape with a sense of deeper realism then I think it could be a winner.

oldwhitewood said:
I'm thinking too of actually backing off using so many plants, simply using sand, wood, rocks, moss, ferns and crypts with soem rotala sp. green. I'm not sure what to do but I do really miss having the sand foreground.
I know what you mean mate. Luis' layouts are perfect examples of this style.

Back