• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Who needs a dog.

What a great relationship going on here. Comical to watch, reminds me of my Discus days when they would take bloodworm out of my fingers and swim in between them for a little stroke.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

I was thinking that, there was a rock in there earlier on that seems to have been taken out, don't know if the fish had injured itself on it or not. Seems to be getting a lot of it interaction and stimulus from the owner who treats it like a pet.

The owner is a member in this forum and I've see their other stuff so certainly know about fish and plant keeping.

Lot of debate as well over whether these hybrid fish are ethical and a risk if released into the environment but the fish seems healthy and happy.

Fun video
but also sad - fish is deprived of any sensory stimulation outside interaction with owner ... no tankmates, no decor ... strange love

It does have a friend, it can see it's reflection in the glass (budgie with a mirror situation). It's the reason my Cory's surf the glass sides of my tank. It's happy to see its owner for the same reason my Discus is, I feed it.

A self obsessed fish constantly checking itself out in the mirror. It should be on love island.The fish is probably more intelligent though.

Bettas flare/react (strongly) to fish in mirror, but not to tank walls

Depends on light direction from inside/outside the tank for how reflective a particular wall is. I can only speak of the fish behaviour in my tank.

Depends on light direction from inside/outside the tank for how reflective a particular wall is. I can only speak of the fish behaviour in my tank.

I would say it depends how bright the light is out side the tank. You tend to get more reflection when the outside room is dark. My fish don't seem to notice me as much in the evening when house lights are off. The fish can clearly see outside of the tank rather than itself as its chasing about some food in the tweezers on the outside. @Foo the Flowerhorn do you spend a lot of time entertaining the fish?

but also sad - fish is deprived of any sensory stimulation outside interaction with owner ... no tankmates, no decor ... strange love

Have to agree, not keen on fish in empty tank myself esp when alone.

I think it borders on animal cruelty, if we keep fish we have a duty of care to provide as much a natural home as is possible, i dont think a flowerhorns natural home is alone with absolutely nothing around it.
If this person thinks anything of his fish he should either give it to somebody who will care for it properly or provide it with as much a natural habitat as possible.

I normally wouldn't comment on a thread evolving ethics and whilst I'm not a fan of bare tanks, I don't think you can say it's animal cruelty. From what i know of these fish they are really good at destroying their tanks and those that keep them normally do so in bare tanks whether we agree with it or not. Its more likely that they will actually do themselves harm in furnished aquaria unless you make large sacrifices, plus they are heavy feeders and make a lot of mess. From the video however it looks like the fish is very well looked after giving how much it has grown, it's overall healthy look and the tank being very well maintained. So whilst it's not a species I think should even exist I don't think it's being treated badly at all.

All fish keepers are psychopaths its just a question of degree...…….
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/are-fishkeepers-psychopaths

:) The picture is a tad bigger than fish keeping only.. It's the intire pet and zoo industry that needs a grand revision when it comes to responsibilities involved in respectfully keeping animals. But it is a trade and in trade money and respect makes the world go round.

So the article should be generalized to hold more truth into "Are animal keepers psychopats?" Unfortunately vast numbers are if not the majority. Not to speek from the ignorant non animal keepers indulging a zoo weekend, funding others to keep animals in unrespectfull ways for them.

It certainly aint a mater of degree it's simple black or white and it all comes down to the inpropper use of the concept respecting and putting the money at the wrong end of the stick.

Never mind the dog.. Beware of its owner..

Glad that been said above, the Flowerhorn is in exellent health, who knows what the fish thinks.It interacts with its owner lovely.How many of us go on holiday aware or unaware what the natural world had to suffer to make that resort?,how many of us see animals used in unecessary sometimes cruel ways to keep tourists happy? after the holiday or getting the info how many of us sign up in protest, ?

The Animal Welfare Act (uk) defines the following needs every owner is responsible for providing for:

(a)its need for a suitable environment,
(b)its need for a suitable diet,
(c)its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns,
(d)any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals, and
(e)its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

The most common one that is ignored is need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns. We provide a clean tank with the correct parameters, a healthy diet, co-habitors (or not depending on the species) and medical care. They are all essential basics.

The next level - providing the facilities to exhibit normal behaviour patterns is more difficult and something I would say the majority of fish keepers (me included) fail with at some point. After all, if you've done all the above the fish is healthy and not apparently in poor conditions it seems like job done. To provide for normal behaviour patterns you have to know what they are for that individual species and work out how to accommodate them. Different fish's behaviour patterns can conflict (even if their water parameters don't) and it can conflict with how you want the tank to look, space and costs.

Do you make sure to grow enough algae in your tank to provide natural grazing options for fish whose natural behaviour is to spend half their day browsing on algae? Do you provide substrate suitable for digging in to fish that like to burrow? Does your lighting allow for normal wake/sleep cycles. Do you provide dense top growth for fish that naturally nest in it? Do you provide leaf litter for hiding in if appropriate? Is the flow in your tank really enough for fish that would naturally spend their day clinging on to rocks in high currents? Do you provide enough space for fish to live in a large shoal and to move in a way that's natural?

I don't think the issue is fish owner specific. It's an issue that's building awareness in all animal keeping area - from scientific research animals, to zoos to dog owners - pop 'your animal type + enrichment' in google if you want to know more. I think everyone should ask themselves: are you really providing an environment that supports natural behaviour patterns for that animal? People in houses full of glass fish tanks shouldn't throw stones.

facilities to exhibit normal behaviour patterns is more difficult

I'm not sure you should try to analyse this sort of thing too hard you should try to provide the best you can reasonably with the current knowledge available. The legislation itself is in conflict if we were to follow part (c)its need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns we should introduce predators of the fish we keep which would conflict with part (e)its need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

Why for example do we allow cats to follow their natural behaviour of predation but don't allow dogs to hunt ?

The problem with humans over analysing this is they can't know what an animal prefers if the brain of a fish is the size of a pea. As a trade off would I prefer a long safe life where I am fed & there is no famine or a short life in the wild with hunger & fear of predators ?

Back