• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White spot and temperature for corys

Goldie Prawn

Hi, please help me as I am getting so much conflicting information when searching for how to help my fish. Yesterday I saw that my green neons had white spot - pretty much lagged in it. I look in my tank a lot and yesterday was the first day I noticed it. Just now I had one dead neon 😞 however my treatment has just arrived - I’m using NT labs anti white spot and fungus. I’ve dosed and slowly increased the temperature up to around 26-27 degrees. I know 30 degrees is the best for speeding up the life cycle of ich and thus treating it quicker, but my question is, will my Pygmy corydoras and otocinclus be able to tolerate 30 degrees? Please help me, as I want to do the right thing and don’t want to lose any more fish (I can’t see white spots on the corys or otos, but I do see a small amount now on my diamond head tetras).

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Sorry to hear this. It is stressful. There are a couple of things here.
  • The view of increasing temperature to treat Ich is not a science-backed fact. I would lower your temperature back to normal levels. (As water temperature increases, the solubility of gases, including oxygen, decreases - which is not what you want when medicating fish).
  • Can you please send some pictures of the fish so we can also see what you are looking at? Just so we can see what you see.
  • Can you post information on your aquarium, your filter and anything else.
Thanks,
Brad

Hello,

Sorry to hear this. It is stressful. There are a couple of things here.
  • The view of increasing temperature to treat Ich is not a science-backed fact. I would lower your temperature back to normal levels. (As water temperature increases, the solubility of gases, including oxygen, decreases - which is not what you want when medicating fish).
  • Can you please send some pictures of the fish so we can also see what you are looking at? Just so we can see what you see.
  • Can you post information on your aquarium, your filter and anything else.
Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad, thanks so much for getting back to me. I have another dead green neon now and the rest look so distressed it’s awful. I’ve checked parameters and they are all ok. It’s hard to get a photo so please see what I managed to get below. It’s a 55 litre tank. The filter is one recommended by swell (it’s a swell own brand) but I actually found it so rubbish I just added another air pump filter which I’ve removed this evening as it said that the type of filtration it has can remove the treatment. I hate seeing my fish like this and I’m so sad another one has died. I will turn the heat back down to 24 degrees, thanks for the advice on that.

As I said, hard to see and photo as they are so stressed. I hate it 😭

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    941.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 19
By the way I have two air stones to help circulate and aerate, that may be the white bits you can see in the water but I have really struggled to get the water clear hence the extra filter.

The idea of higher temperatures is not the cure, the ich parasite leaves the host and goes freeswimming, then waterchanges help remove and unable to find a host fish it dies off . My go to is esha exit if possible esha2000 as well. Whitestone is fairly easy to treat if you catch it early

Unfortunately I haven’t caught it quickly enough, I’ve now lost 6 green neons and more are looking like they are about to die. What a horrible parasite. I knew that just heat wouldn’t treat ich, I just thought it would help speed up the process of them leaving the body, but I guess that’s not right. I’ve got the tank at around 25 degrees now and I just hope that this medicine prevents it from wiping out my whole tank 😭

Really sorry to hear this.

The fact that this came so rapidly and killed so quickly means it might not be ich. We are seeing a lot of deaths in 24 hours, which I would not expect ich to be so aggressive. Maybe bacterial with this secondary infection.

The best you can do now is see how the treatment, which is a mixture of Malachite Green and Formaldehyde, reacts. I would knock the temp down to 24 (all my cardinals, phantoms and livebearers do fine at 23.5) and not do any thorough cleaning of the bio-media as you need all the BB to help.

Keep us posted.

Unfortunately the fish in those photographs look extremely poorly to me, not what you want to hear and I hope I'm wrong but I think they will be lucky to pull through, they look infested and it's unfortunate they weren't diagnosed and treated a bit earlier. Keep up with the treatment to try and save some of them and to also prevent the disease spreading. Are they a new addition to your aquarium?
Sorry!

Aside from Bazz's question, and looking forward, we probably need to assess your aquarium and filtration to ensure it is up to the job. The forum would be happy to help I am sure. I know that might sound a bit premature at this sad point, but it is a step forward.

Despite what the internet and shops tell you, neons require very clean and healthy water and can be more sensitive (i.e., succumb to illness) than other fish species. Due to their native habitat, they do not have a great immune system.

Back