• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White slimy build up on ATO pipes

Andrew Butler

Hello,
Unsure of the best place to post this or the best way to try and explain as photos just don't do it so here goes .......

I use an Auto Aqua smart ATO micro on my tank.
I have a container filled with tap water where my pump sits, sometimes but not all of the time I add a dechlorinator (Seachem Prime) to the water but unsure if that could be the problem so have been trying without.
The sensor lives in the tank as I use an external filter not a sump.
The pipe trails straight upwards from the pump to the aquarium and I have the anti-syphon fitting attached just at the top of the container above the water line.

My main problem is over time I'm getting a slightly slimy feeling white build up on my pipes in the water storage container.

Also at times I've have had black spots inside the pipe above the water storage which remains empty.

Anyone have any clues or suggestions?

Andrew

And to add to it.......
pipe is now not white and slimy but has some black coloured slime with it. :eek: It is all what sits either in or just above the water.

slimey pipe.jpg

Just a thought.................Potassium Sorbate can be used to prevent mould forming in fertilisers which is dosed into aquariums, do you think it could have the same effect on tap water used for my ATO and might help to keep either the white furry build up or black spots along the pipe that stays dry aside from when topping up?

I am also unsure if treating the water in the ATO tank with prime is a good thing, bad thing or doesn't really matter for the smallish amount it adds weekly, thoughts? :pompus:

Potassium Sorbate can be used to prevent mould forming in fertilisers which is dosed into aquariums, do you think it could have the same effect on tap water used for my ATO and might help to keep either the white furry build up or black spots along the pipe that stays dry aside from when topping up?
any views on this?

Back