• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

white deposit on plants in new tank

tapscrew

Seedling
Hi all,

Last weekend I set up a new Fluval flora tank using all the equipment supplied including fluval substrate, i planted the tank and switched on the equipment. Everything has been ok but today a white deposit has formed on all the plants. THere is nothing on the glass, rocks or wood only the plants What is it how can i get rid of it. I have no livestockin the tank yet. Please help

Thanks

well you all are a bunch of geniuses! no suggestions at all. oh well, the news today is that the white bloom disappeared over night! is it possible that it could have been some kind of bacterial bloom?

i guess that is a possible explanation.

from my experiance i always find i get some form of white bio-film forming on the suction cups and plastic parts in the tank in the early days/weeks of setting up a new tank.

tapscrew said:
well you all are a bunch of geniuses! no suggestions at all. oh well, the news today is that the white bloom disappeared over night! is it possible that it could have been some kind of bacterial bloom?

A lot of people on this forum will know more than you or I ever will, so why don't you rather than insulting them, either rephrase your question or allow people more time to comment. People here collectively will know the answer to almost anything you throw at them, a good person to start with is ceg4048.

Regards,

Cool it man, just a bit of cheecky sarcasm. Anyway the news is the white deposit is back it appeared again yesterday, just on the plants again. I have done a 30 percent water change let you know what happens later!

I am 'cool' just if you speak to people properly, it goes a long way. You'll find people on here will go out of their way to help you if so. :)

As for white deposits, How do they appear? Small and grainy like sugar? Or larger? Or possibly even stringy?

Posting a photo will make it a lot easier to identify,

Regards

I have this in my new set up, its the first time i have ever had it in a tank and yes it does look ugly, i have been reading around and shrimp eat it so im gonna manually remove what i can and try keep it under control then when i add the shrimp hopefully they will clean the rest. It like the white patches you get on new wood except it grows on plants aswell. i will try get a picture up later of it under my usb microscope.

Carl

1205142044118905098.jpg

1205142046039016842.jpg

1205142046409054017.jpg

1205142045178970431.jpg

There you go 4 pictures, the first 3 are on plants and it wraps the whole stem, the other picture is it on the wood.

Carl

Ive had this on wood too,
But never on plants.

From wood that hasnt been soaked before, bartash be careful with CRS if you want to keep them. A long time ago Mine got covered in the stuff and it grew on their shells.

I even tried manual removal from shrimp themselves with a cotton bud to no avail.

So looks like something along the lines of above. Try manual removal and keep up water changes.

Someone else might be able to explain in detail what this is.

Hope you find the answers you require,

ive not seen it quite like that on the plants. but have on the wood, as said always tends to be new wood added that hasnt been soaked before. it looks quite dotty on the plants where as fluffy on the wood.

bartash, please note, that the white fluffy stuff i had in my CRS, is, im pretty sure different to what you have in your tank.
the only reason i say that is because mine came from a product i added under the substrate. my shrimps did clear it in no time tho.

Yeah i think i agree with you guys, the wood does seem different. This wood was from my LFS and it had all ready been in a tank for over a month and had nothing on when i bought it and it looks more umm Jelly like. Its gonna be hard taking the wood out to scrub it as its half burried in the substrate. The plants are different as you said, they look more like a bacterial growth maybe lack of flow seing as it only has an air driven sponge in there at the moment?. I was thinking about buying 2 amanos to put in there to see if they can help. i have reduced my light time down to 4 hours for the time being and im doing 25% water changes daily.

Carl

It looks like a fungus to me. I'm no expert, but I would try and syphon as much out as you can when water changing. If that doesn't work, remove the most affected plants and hardscape, scrubb the hardscape in boiling water and replace the plants. If that doesn't work, try an anti-fungus treatment. Finally, rebuild.

It maybe that you needn't worry about it though. Maybe it's harmless and will just get eaten by the critters you add. Maybe trying a couple of amanos is your best option.

It does look like fungi. I would try to remove it, though wouldn't bother taking drastic actions. It's usually harmless to fauna, and should go away soon.

niru

Back