• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which substrate

davdandy

I have no doubt this has been asked a thousand times, I've looked through old posts and still can't decide. What is the best substrate for a aquascaping begginer, one that is easy to use, doesn't cloud the tank or alter the chemistry of the water too much. I've read Nutrisoil and Eco complete a few times mentioned as well as a few others. Advice please?

It really depends on what you are trying to go for, since aquascaping is more about the art itself and less about trying to optimally grow plants, unless you only want to do iwagumi or dutch where plant growth maters a lot more.

That being said, my vote for any beginner starting on their own has always been sand only substrates with a mix of some humic material, like dead tree leaves or other botanicals. Pool filter sand is the cheapest at 10usd per 50lb bag, or you can go with Black diamond blasting sand for a similar price. (You may have to rinse before hand)

You can boil the leaves first and scatter them on top of the sand, chop them up finely and mix them into the sand, or layer them under the sand with some peatmoss (wet of course). The purpose is to get a nutrient recycling process going in order to create a natural soil substrate that can continue supporting plants without polluting the system.

Sand is inert, and dead tree leaves decay slowly and barely alter the water during its decay while containing most of the needed nutrients that plants need to grow. It will take only a month or so until the broken down nutrients in the sand be ready to start supporting larger root structures for more demanding plants, but most plants don't even require substrate to grow initially. If you stick with a lot of easier stem plants and epiphytes, you can avoid the extensive stabilization phase in the beginning common with bare aquasoils and garden soils and get right to planting and aquascaping.

Could I put some nutrisoil or similar as the base then add sand or some kind of gravel on top. I want a lush tank but also keep a variety of small fishes.

There is a thread on UKAPS by a former member where he tested substrates.
Thread 'Maq's Substrate Experiment'
Maq's Substrate Experiment
Short story was that everything grew just fine in everything. I personally had good success with aqua soil on my first tank.

Personally I started with only inert substrate and regretted it because my plants just didn't seem to grow very well, even after I used root tabs. If you want sand I would definitely suggest using a nutrient rich bottom layer such as tropica substrate, just make sure you cover the nutrient rich bottom layer with the instructed amount of sand or whatever fine inert substrate to avoid the nutrients leaching into your water column. If you want a carpetted aquascape it would be better to use aquasoil.
It all depends on the kind of scape you're after.

In my new tank I've used a mixture of nutrient rich substrate with crush lava rock (towards the back) then topped off with atleast 2-3 inches of aquasoil.

Is mixing different brands of substrates a good idea ?
Not an problem per se. Just beware that different soils have a tendency to mix over time. Capping something with sand doesn't mean that it will stay down there forever. Some people add aquasoil to mesh bags to avoid this kind of problem. Aquasoil surfacing usually isn't a big deal, it is mostly an aesthetic concern.
I want a lush tank but also keep a variety of small fishes.
Most small fishes enjoy the softer water that the aquasoil provides. Of course you would need to check case by case, but fishes tend to adapt well to these small changes.

If you want a one stop easy solutionTropica soil everytime, easy to use, no ammonia etc.. the article about substrates is still valid although a few years old now.

If you want cheap then search dirt tanks or read the article too.
Eco complete is garbage, save your money.
👍

If you want a one stop easy solutionTropica soil everytime, easy to use, no ammonia etc.. the article about substrates is still valid although a few years old now.

If you want cheap then search dirt tanks or read the article too.
Eco complete is garbage, save your money.
👍

Another vote for Tropica, only aqua soil I’ve tried so far and it’s great.

Back