• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Oase filter for 35l tank

ben_t

I have a 35l Dennerle scapers tank which was setup a couple of weeks ago. When I bought the tank I was sold an Oase BioPlus thermo 50. I’ve been running this filter but had a few issues.
  • The filter is quite large and I had to keep the substrate low in that corner to fit
  • Due to the size it’s awkward getting it out for maintenance without destroying the scape
  • The flow is quite powerful (350 l/h) and it killed all my floating plants
  • I wanted to keep a Betta and they don’t like strong flow
  • The thermometer makes a loud whirring noise when clicking off
I saw people using the Dennerle corner filters so took a chance and bought one online. This is much smaller and promises a lower flow rate but when I unboxed it I was surprised to find how little filter media is in there. It’s mainly floss which you’re supposed to replace once a month.
So finally I visited my local aquatics store and asked for their advice. They recommended an Oase BioCompact 50 which is much smaller and has a lower flow rate between 120 and 240. I thought this would be third time lucky but after setting it up I found it very noisy. There is a persistent hum that I can hear over the TV and from the other side of the room. I don’t expect it to be completely silent but it’s so much noisier than the larger BioPlus which runs virtually silent.

So now I don’t know what to do. Stick with the bigger one which would now involve maki some room for it again, or use the smaller one which is way too loud IMO. I’ve been back to the shop and they said I could use either.

Hi all,
I saw people using the Dennerle corner filters so took a chance and bought one online. This is much smaller and promises a lower flow rate but when I unboxed it I was surprised to find how little filter media is in there. It’s mainly floss which you’re supposed to replace once a month.
Dennerle corner nano filter with the biomedia extension
I haven't used one of these, but if the <"Extension Module"> isn't suitable, could you Just replace the floss with some sponge? I always chuck any <"proprietary "change it regularly" cartridges"> etc from any filter I buy.

Another thing is that you don't actually need that much <"biological filter media"> in a <"reasonably heavily planted tank">, particularly if it has <"floating or emergent plants">.

cheers Darrel

the biomedia extension is small but effective, I'm actually thinking of getting the media cartridge as well now because of the whole fleece thing (though you can make your own fleece pads from poly batting, i don't have any that doesn't have silicone on it, so I haven't tried yet ) The media cart is the same size as the fleece one, it's just enclosed with a lid so you can fill it up, mines still chuntering away silently though it's due for a major clean as it's been 6 weeks since I've had to do any more than top up the shrimp tank

That bio media cartridge is a possibility. It starts adding up though with all the addons and I really wanted something that would work out of the box.

I had to make a decision so tried both Oase filters in a bucket. The big one was pretty silent once the air was out of it but whatever I tried the small one was really noisy, it vibrates like a noisy fridge. So I have taken the plunge and made space again for the big one. The size is annoying but at least it’s quiet.

That bio media cartridge is a possibility. It starts adding up though with all the addons and I really wanted something that would work out of the box.

I had to make a decision so tried both Oase filters in a bucket. The big one was pretty silent once the air was out of it but whatever I tried the small one was really noisy, it vibrates like a noisy fridge. So I have taken the plunge and made space again for the big one. The size is annoying but at least it’s quiet.

The dennerle scapers flow hang on external would be ideal for this tank

The dennerle scapers flow hang on external would be ideal for this tank
I did look at that one but don’t see how it would fit when using the glass lid. There’s just enough of a gap for a power cord. This is what set me on an internal filter.
Open tanks look nice but sound risky with kids about, plus fish jumping and evaporation.

How much gap is there with the lid on,is there any chance a small hob filter would fit?
I bought one of those Oase BioCompact filters and soon gave up with it.
Flow is great but the design is awful,very fiddly to clean and the bottom piece doesn't fit well which is disappointing compared to the BioPlus filter.

It’s mainly floss which you’re supposed to replace once a month.
I’ve got a couple of these Dennerle corner filters: granted I’m running them in smaller tanks (20 l), but in a year and a bit I’ve only had a new floss block once, when it was just too clogged. I just take it apart and rinse it aggressively in tank water every 6-8 weeks.

you can try the oase filtosmart 100 from oase just make sure you ask them in the store to test it for you, mine had a leaking issue and when i returned it to the store there was another 1 there returned by a client with exactly the same issue so make sure you test it in the shop to be sure

Back