• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Fish is this?

Just caught a few here in South China (Shenzhen) but I have no idea which kind of fish this is. It's about 4cm long and I caught it in a lake where Lotus are growing. The fish where close to the surface under the big Lotus leaves.
a>

I think C. mircropeltes, as that is the only one I know of that would show the red colouration and you can see the black stripes developing above and below the red band.

Oh yeah, obviously juvenile Channa now you guys mention it. Duh!

The micropeltes pictures on the web seem to show pretty distinct stripes, but perhaps they just need to colour up. Not sure the distribution fits either, but they could be introduced.
That's what I have been thinking, wikipedia shows a 2cm red fry with the black lines developing however they also look washed out and stressed so their black markings may not be as vivid in the pics as they would be in a natural setting.

Or a similar species with a more easterly distribution. A lot of Chinese fish are not well known outside the country.

The picture was made immediately after catching them so I don't think they have black stripes, but the body and fin shape let me think that they are indeed some kind of Channa, also I often see the adult ones being soled here for food....anyway, I put them back after I made that photo...don't have a empty fish tank for them to grow big enough to eat...hehe

Back