• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which canister for my new build?

It depends on your scenario... I think a prefilter is the way to go these days. It's a game changer in terms of convenience and I believe every modern canister should have a prefilter. Like a power steering in a car, or a touchscreen on your phone, I would not buy a new product without it.
Hi, thanks for the reply👍.

Yes, they do seam nice but, I may have to go with foam on the intake and crack the canister periodically as I am not prepared to deal with the gurgling issues with Oase just to get the easy to clean pre-filter.

Hi all,

I'm a <"pre-filter fan as well">, although personally I actually prefer it in the tank <"on the filter intake">, rather <"than in the filter body">. The only reason for this is that it is <"one less set of seals etc">, there isn't any other reason.
Yep, far to many reports of issues. I think a canisters method of sealing should be kept as simple as possible(think FZone) as every extra seal is another chance of the infamous gurgle...
I hadn't used a canister filter before ~2008 and it had never occurred to me that people <"would just use the inlet scaffold"> without a sponge etc.

cheers Darrel
Yes, I too have always and will always run foam on my intakes. It just makes sense even on tanks without wildlife imo. More room beneficial bacteria and less debris entering the intake...

Hello,
I tried many canister in previous years. Eheim différent model Classic, ecco pro, expérience, eheim pro all are super silent.
Oase biomaster works well but really noisy in comparison and my best choice is the Aquael ultramax which is the most silent I ever had, good quality built and the easiest prefilter I ever expérienced. I customized the prefilter foam using half corse foam and finer foam and I’m just cleaning them regurlarly to keep the rest of the basket clean. All are full of seachem matrix with fine pad before the impeller. That is very simple setup.
It is the easiest maintenance I found till now.
Mine is running since two years without any issue and I just change the fine pad before the impeller 3 times since.

Good luck with your choice.

Hello,
I tried many canister in previous years. Eheim différent model Classic, ecco pro, expérience, eheim pro all are super silent.
Oase biomaster works well but really noisy in comparison and my best choice is the Aquael ultramax which is the most silent I ever had, good quality built and the easiest prefilter I ever expérienced. I customized the prefilter foam using half corse foam and finer foam and I’m just cleaning them regurlarly to keep the rest of the basket clean. All are full of seachem matrix with fine pad before the impeller. That is very simple setup.
It is the easiest maintenance I found till now.
Mine is running since two years without any issue and I just change the fine pad before the impeller 3 times since.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the info👍.

An interesting observation I've made is that the noise of the Biomaster (and filters in general) seems to vary greatly depending on the tank stand or cabinet.

In my previous big tank setup the Biomaster was so loud, I could often hear it upstairs on a quiet night whereas in my new setup (new cabinet), I can barely hear it.

An interesting observation I've made is that the noise of the Biomaster (and filters in general) seems to vary greatly depending on the tank stand or cabinet.

In my previous big tank setup the Biomaster was so loud, I could often hear it upstairs on a quiet night whereas in my new setup (new cabinet), I can barely hear it.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have heard that.

A cabinet(or even the room it's in) can vastly change acoustics as I know from one of my other hobbies(high end audio). Using quality isolation feet on your canister base to isolate vibration from the cabinet and using acoustic panels or acoustic deadening mat to line the inside of your cabinet should help quite a bit.

Every room in a person's house should contain some amount of acoustic dampening via panels or the like imo as well. It really makes a huge difference and I could never go back to bare walls and echo filled acoustics again personally.

I have also read that Oase has a lot of sound/vibration level variation in their new units. More then when compared to other companies from my research anyway. I have heard from multiple people, that bought more then one Oase of the same model, that the sound level was quite different between examples. I also heard that the sound level goes down over time most of the time, as with most filters, as they gain some biofilm and time to break in.

Last edited:
I made a cabinet for a 50 gallon tank in the 1980’s. It had 1” thick solid wood sides, heavy ply for top, bottom and back, and solid wood doors. It was also well braced. I didn’t have any sound coming out or resonating from the canister filter. If I’d realised how noisy some modern filters are I would have added some thick ply to my existing cabinet but it’s too late now without a complete tear down and the doors have gaps all round anyway.
I’ve seen folks make furniture out of concrete, probably ideal for modern canister filters! 😂

I made a cabinet for a 50 gallon tank in the 1980’s. It had 1” thick solid wood sides, heavy ply for top, bottom and back, and solid wood doors. It was also well braced. I didn’t have any sound coming out or resonating from the canister filter. If I’d realised how noisy some modern filters are I would have added some thick ply to my existing cabinet but it’s too late now without a complete tear down and the doors have gaps all round anyway.
I’ve seen folks make furniture out of concrete, probably ideal for modern canister filters! 😂
Oases anyway, there are plenty of pretty quiet options👍.

I forgot to mention, you can get these separate Pre-Filters.

Well, decision made guys. Both of my new tanks are getting matching canisters. Fluval had a big sale on and I couldn't resist. I got a killer deal and would have had to pay considerably more for the Fzone or Oase...
20221031_144839.jpg

Back