• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When to change filter media?

CheckeredRust

Hey all, first of all, big thanks to everyone who have been answering my beginner questions along the journey. It's been 6 weeks, and I have just added my first batch of cherry shrimps in, and they seemed to be doing well! About 2 weeks prior, I also added 2 small Nerites, and they have also survived till now, with healthy behavior. The tank has matured nicely I guess, following all the advices here, most plants are establishing, minimal algae growing, seed shrimps showing.

So when do I replace my filter media? And how often should I actually wash it? In this 6 weeks, I only washed the 'cotton' part of the filter at the end of 6 weeks. I did not even take out the bag of ceramic rings until now though. I've attached some photos of what it looks like.

Attachments

• PXL_20210715_093906618.jpg
    PXL_20210715_093906618.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 216
  • PXL_20210715_093901747.jpg
    PXL_20210715_093901747.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 136
The filter wool I would ideally replace with a coarser sponge, wool is great a picking up small particles but blocks and slows down filter flow very quickly. As for the ceramics, just give them a quick swill around once a month or so during a water change.

The filter wool I would ideally replace with a coarser sponge, wool is great a picking up small particles but blocks and slows down filter flow very quickly. As for the ceramics, just give them a quick swill around once a month or so during a water change.
Will it affect anything if I were to replace the wool with a sponge now that it has already build up the bacteria for over 6 weeks?

Back