• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats the plastic cards used to stop soil or gravel from moving?

Jay1

Hi people a quick one need a link from Uk who sell the plastic corragated plastic cards to hold back soil, gravel or substrate?
I have some 10mm plastic spacers for wood flooring (expansion gaps) loads of them, can I use them?

Thanks Tim cool!
Anytips on using the stuff I have a FX6 the hill is just bellow, as an amateur I'm guessing the flow will errode the hillside?

I've used cut up Coke bottles before. Anything that stores food should be fine.

Cool guys I realised I,m using alot more gravel than I need to build this hill LOL.
I do like looking for stuff to use as long as its not going to leach toxins from dodgy plastic.

I'll pick some up tomorrow Tim for £4.00 can't argue with that cheaper than my spacers from wurth!

Hi Jay1,
Margarine tubs or any plastic food container work, easy to cut so that gravel on the base of them stops them falling over.
cheers phil

I used plastic from plastic milk bottles, just ironed out a bit to keep flat. Folded the bottom to make little flaps to keep steady whilst fiddling.

Unfortunately all gone from my tank as the sand/substrate I so carefully banked up all "went flat" and the plastic edges started appearing, so ended up with a series of steps. Not sure what went wrong, the flow should have been pushing uphill, but all got removed.

Or you can use slate tiles if you have a tile cutter or a grinder.

tap carefully along the one edge the one the facing up with a small hammer to make it look natural should it become exposed. You can get the odd tile cheap end of stock etc. Even a dab of sealer and stick it at angles etc.

Also, old upstand of shower/ Finnish right angled trim used for facia sofits,you can cut triangle slot here and there along one face to curve it.

Last edited:
With lawn edging be careful of words such as "antimicrobial" "won't grow algae/fungus etc" as these have usually been treated.
Depending on substrate color, at least the green machine version is a nice dark color ;)

Hi guys just having a read through and was wondering if it would be ok to use correx the corrugated plastic sheet you can buy from builders yards. It goes for about £10 for a sheet, which is about 8'x4' or might 6'x3' can't remember off the top my head. You can cut and shape this perfectly to use for this matter and with a dab of glue to hold it in place I think it would work brilliantly.

or maybe this from a bookstore?
pl328266-pp_corrugated_plastic_sheet.jpg

Back