• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats the best sand to use?

RudeDogg1

When i finely set up my tank I want to use a layer of something like the tropica substrate caped with a fine realy wite sand. My question is what the best stuff to use that isnt going to break the ban? I quite like the caribsea wite moon sand but its so expensive. Some say play sand but some say its to dusty so im confused lol

Yes, I second play sand, and if you put in a few root tab's it is easily converted into a good planting substrate, it is useful to have around as well because you can use it to cap other substrates.

I like Zambezi too, it's a little bit larger grained so is less likely to get cyno if maintenance wains for what ever reason.

My vote goes for silica sand for swimming pool filters, it cheap, clean and you'll find it in many different grain sizes and colors. I personally use it and had no problems. The only thing I made to prevent any kind of contamination or mold was boiling it into a metal bucket before I put it in the tank. My wife was a little distressed with a bucket on the stove but before she had a heart attack the process was over :lol:

Hi all,
My vote goes for silica sand for swimming pool filters, it cheap, clean and you'll find it in many different grain sizes and colors. I personally use it and had no problems.
That is my sand of choice as well. Unfortunately it isn't that easy to get in the UK, as personal swimming pools aren't big here.

cheers Darrel

oliverar said:
Yes, I second play sand, and if you put in a few root tab's it is easily converted into a good planting substrate, it is useful to have around as well because you can use it to cap other substrates.

I'm the same. Play sand all the way. I just rinse it through thoroughly in a bucket before adding to the tank to get rid of the 'dust'. It's cheap from B&Q and great for use alone and as a cap.

I have a 70L tank growing crypts, giant val, java fern and two variety of hygrophilia in nothing but playsand and they're still growing well after over a year.

Back