• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Wood Is This? What Are Its Characteristics?

Sudipto

I need some help with identifying this piece of wood that I recently got for myself. What are these woods called please? Shen wood? What are their characteristics, if any? They look very different in that they are quite pale. I had initially thought that might be the result of some acid wash. But I wonder if that is so.

There is very little internet literature on it. I shall appreciate any help or guidance.

Incidentally the photograph was taken with the piece sitting on our living room coffee table. Ever since, I have soaked it in water for a week or so and it is now sinking fairly easily in water. It did not leach much tanin, I think. I am saying "I think" because I had let it sit in a bucket alongwith another old bog wood which obviously leached a lot of tanin. I doubt if this particular wood leached anything much.

BogwoodJan022016_1398_zpstyzda8km.jpg

this looks to be similar to what is sold as "spider wood" - there's a discussion here

BUT the piece I purchased has been dry & slow to sink (supposedly wood is dried for shipping re weight concerns) and it is definitely NOT shiny
I've yet to use the wood as it acquired an odd smell during the soaking process so I'm loathe to use this in my tank

I have seen what seems to be the same wood sold for reptile use & this is coated to give a shiny appearance (not sure I'd want an unknown coating for my lizards either)

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have no idea if redmoor root is available in India. The shiny effect is due to a mix of warm tungsten-ish light of the living room and some diffused sunlight coming through a window to the right and some (perhaps unnecessary) sharpening on photoshop. There doesn't seem to be any artificial coating. I read a description somewhere of "rhododendron wood" and the description somewhat matches my wood.
This wood sank in water in about a week, if that helps.

On first look I thought straight away Azaelia Root completely fish aquarium safe and the same as the link discussion given by alto, at first Ithought it was varnished for ornamental purpose but your comment makes it safe, Aqua One stock it and most AO retailers have it.

Thanks a lot Paraguay. I live in Calcutta, India though and bought it from a local aquarium/fish shop who didn't tell me anything about the wood. I just hope no live tree was hacked down to feed this demand for nice looking wood for the aquarium hobby.

Back