• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What the hell has happened?

Martin cape

Hi guys,

Just done my weekly 50% water change. Now the water has gone really cloudy, I have done anything different to what I do every week.
netetapa.jpg

Just with a bucket. Same as I always do. I put a dish on the substrate so it doesn't disturb it. I've changed more water and its still a bit murky. Gonna leave it till tomorra. See what happens. Then do another change if need be.

Gonna leave lights and co2 off while I'm checking it all.

I do add Sodium Bicarb and Calcium Chloride to increase KH and GH, thinking I've maybe not let the Bicarb dissolve fully in the water before I've added the CaCl2. Reacted causing Sodium Chloride. Hence the fog.

I do add Sodium Bicarb and Calcium Chloride to increase KH and GH, thinking I've maybe not let the Bicarb dissolve fully in the water before I've added the CaCl2. Reacted causing Sodium Chloride. Hence the fog.

Why would you want to increase GH and KH? I used to use pure RO water and only ever added a bit of RO salts occasionally (1/2 teaspoon to 25l) if anything as if you're dosing ferts you will be adding everything you need through them IME.

The water I use is really soft. Less than one for KH and GH. So I have no buffer in there for when I inject co2. I only bump it up to 5 degrees each. Add a bit of buffer really. Also add the calcium for the inverts, and their shells.

I would suggest this is a normal occurrence of a bacteria bloom, due to water change. It should clear within 72 hours.

Back